Author Topic: 'Lest We Forget' New Year Resolution?  (Read 3007 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lest We Forget' New Year Resolution?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi pharmaT,

Many thanks too for your post - this is also very gratefully received and appreciated.

I am so glad to hear that you, too think my suggestion is a great idea. :)  I think this is so heartening to hear from people like you who like the idea of going the extra mile in researching someone who is unrelated for the benefit of others now and in the future.  I am glad to hear that the names on your local memorial are well recorded and photographed.  However, have all the names been covered?  Perhaps there might be one left unresearched which perhaps you or someone else from your area may be able to research.   

If anyone is unsure where to post there information perhaps they could post on here a rough idea of where they are from and other RootsChatters may be able to offer suggestions.  As Jen has already mentioned for example, for those living in Northumberland and Durham area, a good website to send information to is the 'North East War Memorials Project.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faith-Fire-within-Memory-Hexham/dp/0955275814

http://www.newmp.org.uk/  I should have mentioned earlier that a feature of this site is 'Every Name a Story' where extra information about individuals can be added.
Here is an example (not added by me) this is my grandmother's cousin, Ingram
http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1118&displayorder=12

Here is an example of a rescued memorial at Carrshield (Allendale). It was originally in the school. When that closed it was placed in the church.. When the church was closed it was rescued and has recently been reinstalled in the church at nearby Ninebanks. http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6773#listlink

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I like the idea, but as I am in Australia won't be much help to you, however I have two cousins from Bristol area who were killed, one in WW1 and the other in WW2.  I have put their details on the memorium part of rootschat, but does anyone know where I could send the information to in England.
I also have two cousins who served and survived who were from Hull, but born in Redruth, Cornwall, so again do you know who would like their information.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorrie,

Many thanks for your additional posts - I love hearing about personal stories such as the ones you and Viktoria have shared.

What an amazing discovery to come across your distant cousins called Easson, on a memorial whilst you were on holiday!  It was fortuitous that you were proactive and researched the names which were the same as your Grt x 2 Grandmother's maiden name and were able to find out that these people were your cousins!  This is wonderful that you put time and effort into providing evidence about them so that they are now rightfully commemorated as they so deserve to be.

I am sure all will agree who see your post that you have indeed achieved something positive in your distant cousin's memory.  What an inspiring story in showing what can be found out if effort is made and how something special and lasting can be achieved. This is fantastic that through your efforts they are now recognized properly for their sacrifice. :)

I am glad to hear that your Grandfather who served on HMS Warrior survived the Battle of Jutland.  I think this was often the case that those who had had such experiences wanted to put things behind them and not want to talk about it. 
That must have been a very memorable occasion of special significance when you had the honour of attending the special service at the St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, Orkney.  It is nice to hear that descendants like you of those who served were treated so well and like royalty.  I am glad to hear that you have mementoes of that special day too which you will pass down.  I can imagine this must be a source of great pride to wear your special badge each Remembrance Sunday with pride. :)

Thank you so much Dorrie for sharing these very special memories.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thanks for sharing this additional post with us.  I love the 'Every Name A Story' feature of the 'North East War Memorials Website' as very detailed and fascinating stories are related on here as well as wonderful photographs. 

School teachers, such as your Grandmother's cousin Ingram, were often written about in local school logs of the time.  So if anyone is researching a school teacher I would recommend checking your local archive to see if any school logs may still exist.

Thanks too for adding the link of an example of a rescued memorial too, Jen.  It is fortunate that in this case the memorial has been reinstalled elsewhere.   :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanna52,

Many thanks for your post too - this is also very much appreciated.

I am glad to hear you like the my suggestion too. :)  Nanna52, I think you could be a great help to those in England if someone could kindly let you know where to send the information you have on your relatives who served in the Wars.  I think if does not matter which country you are from - if you have information on ancestors/relatives who served in the Wars, this is sure to be of great interest to relevant war groups/societies and no doubt invaluable to others related to the same people now and in future generations.

I hope someone can send you advice on this soon.  I am sure you will be of great help.  It is good that you have commemorated your relatives on the memoriam part of RootsChat too.  I have done this as well and I have also noticed Dorrie's ancestor on there. :) 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone put information on the Imperial War Museums site 

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/ww1-life-stories
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I think I put a name on there ages ago Rosie.

Will take a proper look at it and see if I can add names and information for those I have already researched.

Thank you

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply,my Dad was relatively old when I was born ,as a result of WWI injuries so I had first hand his memories .
I can't remember a time when I was not aware of it all,not that he was morbid or gory but I absorbed it all and when we lived in Belgium we of course took him to many places when he came on visits.
When we took him to Armentiers,(he had told us Haig addressed the troops in the market square) we said do you know where you are?
No ,came the answer.We reminded him of Haig's address-------"It was all in
b----y ruins when we were here!"
The sadness of it all overwhelms me at times, how it could go so long given the conditions,why our troops did not mutiny I'll never understand.
And what they came back to,certainly not a land fit for heroes,but mass unemployment and poverty,The means test and then twenty years later another war. We are a very long suffering people to be sure.
Thanks again. Viktoria.