Author Topic: 'Lest We Forget' New Year Resolution?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lest We Forget' New Year Resolution?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Rosie99, I had a look at the site, but there doesn't seem to be many stories.  I will have to look at how it works.

I have also remembered that there is someone from London too.  He served with the AIF in WW1 and at home in WW2.  No relation, but I found him mentioned in some of my parents things and had to try to work out how he fitted in.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria

Thank you for your very interesting post giving memories of your Dad.  I am sorry to hear that he suffered injuries but very glad to hear he was one of the fortunate ones who survived. :)

I know what you mean about saying the sadness is overwhelming.  I have been researching a local newspaper of the time which is not on-line.  Some of the stories and letters I have read on there can sometimes break your heart.  What is amazing is the stoical and totally selfless attitude of those who served.  It is extraordinary that there was not a mutiny about the conditions - deplorable is an understatement.

I remember recently reading a book by Harry Patch and in one part he described watching the faces of a nearby group of men who had been ordered to go over the top to almost certain death.  He describes the look of bewilderment and disbelief on their faces.  I think I would be thinking - 'say what! I am really expected to go over the top and be mown down by bullets?'  I think most people were conditioned to obey no matter the end result.

My own Dad, served in WW2 and was fortunate to survive.  I used to ask him questions about his experiences when I got older.  Like you I was born late in my Dad's life - I was his youngest child.  He was not at all morbid or gory either and I do not think he would have ever mentioned the war again if not for me and all my questions - I have always been inquisitive.

I remember him describing a scene which sounded something very much like the film 'Saving Private Ryan'.  He spoke of being terrified and having to run up a mined beach and seeing his friends being blown up.  I asked if he was not tempted to turn around and run back to the boat.  I know it was a daft question but I felt I just had to ask.  I will never forget the expression of incredulity on his face.  He told me there was no question of that he said that if he had done that he would certainly have been shot by his own people.  Imagine being in such a predicament! :'(

Yes, Viktoria I totally agree with you that we are a very long suffering people.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I asked Dad however he could go over the top,he said there were often
Soldiers like Military Police who would have shot you had you not gone over the top! I could not believe that ,but he said they all did and it was so you had some chance if you did and no chance if you didn't.

I am always willing to be corrected and am awaiting info about that.
As you say, people were different then and really "knew their place".
We have more sense of our worth today.
There are a few WWl graves in our local cemetery and all are neglected,I could have put something on for Christmas but I'm new to this area and waited to see if anyone visited them,if not I can do something at  Easter.I'll check.         Viktoria.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
These poor lads who managed to survive but lived with the horrors of what they had endured for the rest of their lives.

Probably the most poignant memorial I have ever seen is the one at the National Arboretum at Alrewas to the shot at dawn boys. Blindfolded, lifelike figures tied to posts with the name of each one attached. Thank God we have moved on now and recognise Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife