Author Topic: Ruth Thomas, born in Llywel  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ruth Thomas, born in Llywel
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
On her marriage certificate, my great-grandmother appears as Ruth Thomas.  She married John Jenkins in Brecon in 1866 when she was 24 years old, putting her year of birth as 1842. On the column for fathers' names hers appears as Joseph Thomas but Thomas has been crossed out and replaced with Davies. He was a farmer. Censuses after her marriage show her birthplace to be Llywel.

Ruth moved to Ynysybwl and died there in 1888. I am unable to find any information on her before her marriage to John and I have her death certificate but have no idea where she is buried. She is not in the cemetery in Ynysybwl because it did not open until after her death.

I have visited churches in and around Llywel and a vicar even looked up old records for me but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ruth Thomas, born in Llywel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Who were the witnesses to the marriage and what information did it give for Ruths abode
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Ruth's residence is Merthyr Cynog and John's is Aberyscir and there is a word there starting with an "A" above Merthyr Cynog, I think, but very difficult to make out anything else.  The witnesses were Jas. W? Jones and what looks like D.W.W. Price.  It's definitely Price. The groom is a farm servant so I wondered if he worked on Ruth's father's farm. The marriage was in the register office so doesn't appear on the Breconshire marriages in the parish records.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how much sense this will make,but for what it's worth

There is a Ruth Davies,given born 1844,resident in Llywel,with a Thomas Price given born 1770 in the 1851 census(ref HO107/2489/107/2).If Joseph Price was his son(and there is one in Llywel in 1841,given born 1796),perhaps he had an illegitimate child by a female Davies( the GRO index gives a Ruth Price,Brecknock district 1843,with no mmn).Finally,Joseph Price's father being(?) Thomas Price he might have also been known as Joseph Thomas locally in the patronymic.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census there is a Thomas Price(1782) in Llywel with a David Price(1815).Perhaps this is the same Thomas with another son who is the witness.

Regards
Roger

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census for Ruth Davies has Daughters Daug on image.
So Thomas Price is her Grandfather it seems.

FreeREG has some Llywell Parish Records, so many Prices/Davies it will take some effort to sort them out.
Nothing for Ruth though.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. I'm really very grateful. I've been working on this since 2003! I'm going to explore all this information this afternoon. I wish I'd asked for help before now.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Price did have a Son David bapt 1814 from memory, its on FreeREG. :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Ruth on 1861 Census before Marriage?