Author Topic: Myheritage DNA Result interpretation  (Read 813 times)

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Myheritage DNA Result interpretation
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on my DNA results as I don't find the explanation given with my results to be particularly useful.

My results were 95.2% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
4.8% Scandinavia.

Would it be correct to assume that Irish, Scottish and Welsh is in fact a Celtic origin? The British Isles are such a melting pot of different cultures, it isn't particularly clear as to what these results even mean. Gael, Briton or Pict from Scotland? Am I more of a Welsh origin than a Irish? This doesn't really tell me a lot.

Then Scandinavia, is that hinting at a Norman origin or is it a Viking origin?

Is there any other tests which anyone could recommend which may clarify this more?

Thanks.
Ireland:
Antrim - Chism, Bell, McKinley, Armstrong, Johnson, Allen
Ballymena - Ross, Stewart, Black, Wilson, McCarville
Belfast - Black, Gunion, Dornan, Gowdy, Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Derrylin - Rice, Grieves, Breen, McManus, Lang
Lisnaskea - Downey
Magherafelt - Creamer, Blaney
Monaghan - Downey, Young
Newtownards - Blackwood, Morris
Newtownstewart - Hamilton, Irwin
Templepatrick - Lockhart, Cochran

Wales:
Llantrisant - John, Griffith, David

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Myheritage DNA Result interpretation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
As others have said, the ethnicity report can be taken almost with a pinch of salt.  Whilst a lot of kits are sold by DNA firms as finding out your ethnicity, that is not something to be relied on.

I am British through and through (I think), mainly from SE England and Home Counties. A match with only our mutual ancestor born in UK as far back as she can go, appears to be more Great British than me, something I find hard to believe.

Your paper trail is a better indicator of your ethnicity for probably the last 200 - 300 years or so.  Before that, who knows.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion, what you have here is a triumph of Marketing over expectations?

I haven't done a DNA test, and never intend to do a DNA test - as I'm not sure that it will add anything to my FH?
My family (on all lines) is purely English, all the way back to the mid-1500s.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad

I think DNA testing will add immensely to your family history, just not particularly give you accurate information about your ethnicity.

The match I was talking about, with more apparent UK ancestry than myself, was one of the first matches I found when I got my results through.

She, along with everyone else descended from her only UK family, had thought that he originated from Devon, England. DNA testing proved that we were related, a paper trail had already proved to my satisfaction the connection between us and our London ancestor.

It was very satisfying to have the proof, and most of her extended family have accepted it and changed their online trees as a result, something which I had been trying to persuade them of for some years.

Also a brick wall broken down for myself on another line. Lots more matches coming in after Black Friday and Christmas sales

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go