Author Topic: Durham placename help needed pls  (Read 2805 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Durham placename help needed pls
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Despite having some decent local knowledge I'm having a bit of a struggle with an ancestor's place of birth on census forms (two of them) - my initial thought was it could be Carrshield, but pretty sure that has always been in Northumberland, it's not North or South Shields, and it certainly wouldn't be Galashiels. It's really just the third and poss fourth letter I need confirming, I think. It's halfway down the first pic, and just under the second entry for Northumberland on the second.
Have also searched for her birth records (Catherine Dixon, c1795) on Ancestry, Family Search and Freereg but nothing really matches there (except a 1797 birth in South Shields) but I think it's unlikely the enumerator would mishear the same thing 10 years apart. So any input would be gratefully received!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham placename help needed pls
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
but I think it's unlikely the enumerator would mishear the same thing 10 years apart. So any input would be gratefully received!

The enumerator did not fill in the schedule (except for two sections) it was filled in by or on behalf of the head of the family. It is a common myth that a census enumerator knocked on doors and asked who was present, and then wrote down the details, often miss-hearing, or miss-spelling. When the enumerator collected the schedules all he had to do was to to examine the schedule in order to satisfy himself that it had been correctly and completely filled up.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I thought 1911 was the first one that householders filled in themselves - otherwise how come all the handwriting is the same on earlier census pages?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Because on the earlier censuses the enumerator copied from the household schedules into his book. It is the latter which we see on all the censuses apart from the 1911. For all the other censuses the individual household schedules were destroyed.

Turning to your place-name, the only sensible thing I can make of it is Carsheil or Carshield, which, as you say, is in in Allendale, Northumberland.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
If the householder was illiterate, who would fill in the household schedule on their behalf? Would that be the enumerator or would they have to find someone themselves to do it?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Ah, of course, that makes sense - I had wondered what a busy enumerator would do if there was no one home... I suppose then, I should be questioning whether his eyes would deceive him the same way 10 years apart, not his ears...

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »

Have also searched for her birth records (Catherine Dixon, c1795) on Ancestry, Family Search and Freereg but nothing really matches there (except a 1797 birth in South Shields) but I think it's unlikely the enumerator would mishear the same thing 10 years apart. So any input would be gratefully received!

Hello,
I looked up what I thought was your query and found Mary Temple, wife of Edward Temple, with those place names. Then I read your post more thoroughly and see you have Catherine Dixon. :-\
What I was going to suggest is to check the marriage record to see if there were any clues.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I suppose then, I should be questioning whether his eyes would deceive him the same way 10 years apart, not his ears...

The similarity between the two place-names is too coincidental.

My suggestion, for what it's worth is that Carrshield, Northumberland, isn't ever so from the County Durham boundary. Perhaps her husband (if that's who the head of household was and filled in the form) thought it was in County Durham  :-\

Where is she living in 1841 and what does it show for her birthplace?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the effort, everyone! Yes, I know it's Mary on the census, but my research has left me convinced that must be a middle name or something as the only wife of an Edward Temple that ties in with these details is Catherine Dixon - marriage is here: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQBW-HDL
(This is also backed up by parish records for baptisms of her children, and I have subsequently seen that other people on Ancestry have her in their trees - I'm always sceptical of other people's unless they tie in with mine   ;)
Just a shame I can't quite find HER baptism records...