Author Topic: Durham placename help needed pls  (Read 2829 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham placename help needed pls
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 31 December 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes I forgot to mention that, sorry. I saw them in Durham Online indexes.

Durham Records Online is a very good source, and quite a lot of useful information can be gleaned from creative use of the free index.
Check ‘What we offer’ for their coverage of parish records.

Yes, have used them quite a lot previously, but again, I often forget to try them if there are no hits on the main sites. I really should make a checklist of sites to go through to make sure no one gets left out if at all possible...

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
For those who like neat endings, I had a chance to check the parish register entries and the use of 'bachelor' and 'spinster' on Freereg does seem to have been an uneducated guess as they're certainly not on the originals. That said, I have found a Freereg entry for a Mary Hopper with an illegitimate daughter Ann of the right age, baptised in 1823, so she actually was a spinster - that was in Stanhope parish, which is certainly on the way to Carrshield, if not in the same parish. Anyway, she's not important to my tree, so we can close this one off now, thanks for the help everyone!  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
the use of 'bachelor' and 'spinster' on Freereg does seem to have been an uneducated guess as they're certainly not on the originals.

That's poor, because they are only supposed to transcribe what they see on the record  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
It has made me decide I need to confirm as many of my entries as poss with the original texts, so hopefully some good has come out of it...