Author Topic: Historic Slides  (Read 800 times)

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
Historic Slides
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I found a large number of slides in a bin, looking at them holing up to the light I would guess someone had their old family photos and photos of historic interest put onto slides, I would guess about thirty years or so ago looking at the slide cases. There are definately WWII images on some of the pictures. I would very much like to give them to a local history group or some such organisation (free of charge). Can anyone reccomend a recipient?
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Slides
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Try your local museum, or ask in the library for guidance.... someone will be interested!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Leicester and Rutland Archives in Wigston, perhaps.  Or try Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society.  BUT, please, please, don't just throw them away  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I'd never throw such an item away, I have trouble throwing out the local paper everyday!
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Slides - Completed
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thats for your advice, letter as follows :-

Dear Sir,
I found these slides in a waste bin at work, I would guess just over 100. I held them up to the light and they looked like they may be of historical interest. I am guessing older pictures have also been converted to slides as I can make out WWII uniforms and bombed out buildings. I hope they are of interest, if they are not I am happy for you to dispose of them as you see fit.

I was not sure what to do with them, the excellent website RootsChat.com advised me that you were the people to contact. (subscribed to your magazine whilst looking at your website and look forward to more interaction).

D C Goodwin.

Thanks for the advice, I packaged them up now and I can put them in the internal post at work so it won't cost me anything to send them which is a bonus! I also joined the society whilst I was there, so this post was good and everyone was a winner! Thank you.

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Slides Completed
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Completed.