Author Topic: Looking for the marriage between Benjamin ROBERTS & Beryl Gertrude ???  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the marriage between Benjamin ROBERTS & Beryl Gertrude ???
« on: Monday 01 January 18 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I am unable to locate Benjamin ROBERTS marriage with Beryl Gertrude and had wondered if it fell outside of QLD BMD date range for marriages [1942].

I have been researching Benjamin and have located some records that indicate he may have married before 1942.

* A newspaper article 19 Jul 1940 mentions Benjamin entered camp with the A.I.F..
* Service records for Benjamin [as yet unreleased] states his next of kin is Beryl ROBERTS
* A newspaper article mentions the death of Benjamin's father and a lease he gave for a property the ROBERTS family owned in Dalby - the date 1945
* Benjamin mentions he was in Borneo at the time his father entered into the lease arrangement
* However the 1943 Electoral Roll has Benjamin living with his mother and brothers at Condamine St, Dalby, Queensland and no mention of Beryl.
* The 1949 onwards Electoral Rolls name Beryl and Benjamin living together.

I am aware Benjamin and Beryl could have been living together unmarried when he entered into the services and as a result he named her as his NOK however it is highly unlikely given he lived in a small town and his family were of standing in the community and Salvationists.

Thoughts?

Westy

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the marriage between Benjamin ROBERTS & Beryl Gertrude ???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 03:44 GMT (UK) »
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/beryl-roberts-obituary?pid=172284212&view=guestbook
ROBERTS, Beryl Gertrude Late of Villa Carramar Passed away peacefully, Thursday 21st August 2014 Aged 97 years. Loving Wife of Benjamin (dec'd). Much loved Mother and Mother-in-law. Adored Grandmother and Great-Grandmother of their respective Families.Relatives and Friends are respectfully invited...

Could this be her birth?
QLD birth:
1917 C11416 Beryl Gertrude FOLEY; Father-Richard; Mother-Elspet Lillian Beatrice Smith   

Her parents marriage: 1916 C2050 Richard FOLEY and Elspet Lillian Beatrice SMITH
Death: 1927 C2324 Elspet Lillian Beatrice FOLEY; Father-William Smith; Mother-Fanny Gertrude Stephens
Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery QLD http://austcemindex.com/?given_names=Elspet+Lillian+Beatrice&family_name=FOLEY
Elspet Lillian Beatrice FOLEY; Birth-1895? Death-14 April 1927; Age-32; ; Row, Plot Ang 7 3, 45

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Electoral rolls listings are no guarantee that the person was actually at the address on election day. 

Service Summary - you could purchase his file from NAA which would show his date of marriage if he married during his time of service as his NOK would have changed.  Naturally his wife was his NOK at the end of the war and that is what is usually shown on the summary and index at NAA.
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=15734

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article217572430
The Dalby Herald  29 Oct 1948
Benjamin Roberts, the beneficiary, is a returned soldier with a gunshot wound of the shoulder, and he also contracted malaria on war service. He is married with a wife and three children, and at the moment is working on wages as a shop assistant.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 18 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Beryl trained as a nurse at Dalby Hospital and she is listed twice on the 1943 Qld electoral roll living at New Farm, Brisbane as Beryl Gertrude FOLEY with occupation nurse and as Beryl Gertrude ROBERTS at 21 Gowrie Street, Toowoomba with occupation home duties.

Cando

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 18 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Stanthorpe Cemetery Stanthorpe, Southern Downs Region, Qld
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184851759/beryl-gertrude-roberts
Beryl Gertrude Roberts Death 21 Aug 2014
PLOT Section 8, Row S, Grave 19 MEMORIAL ID 184851759
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184851760/benjmin-roberts
Benjmin Roberts Death 27 May 1991
PLOT Section 8, Row S, Grave 20; MEMORIAL ID 184851760

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello again cupoflife: you are the gift that keeps on giving and thanks so much. 

I had looked at the possibility Beryl was Beryl Foley and I think you are right especially as she was also stationed at the Dalby hospital.  However it is of interest she was also at the 21 Gowrie Street, Toowoomba address as this is where Benjamin's mother and sister were living as Benjamin's elder  brother died at the Toowoomba hospital at this time.

Hello Cando: much appreciated and you have also assisted greatly.  I had not realised the Service Records were the end of the war records.  This may well account for the apparent discrepancy.

Perhaps as Beryl was a nurse this may have been how she met Benjamin given he was wounded during service/  I know I won't ever know 100% but I often wonder how people meet....the specific circumstances around how two people's paths cross.

Much appreciated and yes you have correctly identified Beryl died at Standthorpe.

Much appreciated.

Westy

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Service Summary - you could purchase his file from NAA which would show his date of marriage if he married during his time of service as his NOK would have changed.  Naturally his wife was his NOK at the end of the war and that is what is usually shown on the summary and index at NAA.
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=15734
Cando

Hello Cando: much appreciated and you have also assisted greatly.  I had not realised the Service Records were the end of the war records.  This may well account for the apparent discrepancy.

I think you have misunderstood my post.  The service file would be amended if the enlistee married during his service period, to update the NOK and naturally that is the person who would be listed on the Service Summary.   There is no discrepancy as far as I can see.

Marriage in Qld
1943   C1126   
ROBERTS Benjamin   
FOLEY Beryl Gertrude   

Cando

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cando,

Thanks for the clarification.

The discrepancy to which I referred was the date [1940] when Benjamin joined the A.I.F and then a modification to the NOK to incorporate his now wife. I had linked the facts and wondered if the two records meant Benjamin was married in 1940.

I have the QLD BDM reference.  I am unable to locate a transcription for the marriage which one can usually find on FindMyPast, Ancestry or Familysearch.

Westy

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I still don't understand you reasoning.

I doubt that marriages which were released three days ago to the Qld BDM website for the year 1943 would be on any other websites.  Aren't you aware of the restricted access to marriage certificates in Qld for 75 years?  I don't use subscription only websites for Australian BDM's.  Another opportunity for mistranscriptions and errors.

Cando