Author Topic: Churchyard Plans(maps)  (Read 789 times)

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Churchyard Plans(maps)
« on: Monday 01 January 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Am wondering if anyone out there knows of or knows how to find old plans of churchyards marking where graves are and if they  have a number. Also the names of people buried in those graves.As my old local churchyard was flattened many years ago and is being re used in some area's.The churchyard plans I am looking for are St Stephens of Great Wigborough,Essex.As I know that some of my ancesters are buried there but am unable locate exact place in the churchyard.I have an up to date hand drawn copy,but it only shows graves with head stones that are readable and new graves.This I obtained from the church warden about 4 years ago.
Tibbald ,Theobald,Sheppard,Gale,Mumford,Game.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Churchyard Plans(maps)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I have found that Bereavement Services Departments of some councils hold cemetery maps. Also crematoria.

Have you approached a local genealogy society or a local history society? They might hold records.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies about my subject.
I have an account with Essex Records Seax and have found the church records of burials of my Ancesters. But no record of grave number is on them.Also tried on Seax to find a plan of St Stephens churchyard.but could not find one.
I will try the Local Genealogy and History people to see if they can help.
I do know that some early records from the church went missing and have never been traced.
I might have to try and get down to Colchester  library or Chelmsford record office.
Tibbald ,Theobald,Sheppard,Gale,Mumford,Game.