Author Topic: Searching for a WW1 military map of Pozieres.  (Read 744 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Searching for a WW1 military map of Pozieres.
« on: Monday 01 January 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My GreatUncle was killed 15July 1916 at Pozieres and is buried at the British Cemetery, Ovillers-La Boisselle.
Among the various records, I found a map reference for where his body was found. The reference reads 51d.x.10.d.6.8.
Does anayone know if it's possible to find an online map from which I can pinpoint this position, please.
Many thanks,
David.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a WW1 military map of Pozieres.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
David

Could you check that it is not 57D. On 57D the reference is one square to the south of Pozieres.  Note the proximity to Ovillers la Boisselle

side by side map here:
 http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.0320&lon=2.7089&layers=101465251&right=BingHyb

X10 in the middle of the map, d bottom right hand quadrant,  6 along and 3 up makes it where the little tree drawings are by the word Rue in Rue de Pozieres (forgive me if you know that already).

If this doesn't check out, perhaps you could give details of where the reference is recorded?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Keith Penfold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Try the Australian War Memorial in Canberra Australia
They have a great research area

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
There is no doubt that the map required, and the one I linked to in my post is 57D not 51D (which doesn't exist).  While we do not have the name of the Great Uncle, a quick check of the  deaths at Orvilleres la Boisselle shows that many were all brought in from their original graves, all on the 57D map in the area of X10.

Given that the allies all used the same maps, those on line at:
http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home or
http://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/index.html cover what is available although if the AWM has others I should be interested to hear details.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaxD.
Sorry to keep you hanging on like that but something cropped up.Free now.
I omitted the most important thing didn't I, ie my GtUncles' details.
He was 16370 Cpl.Hennes Robert Bedwell, 8th Bn.East Lancashire Regiment.
He was Killed in action at Pozieres on 15July 1916 and buried Plot 3, Grave 36, Pozieres British Military Cemetery, Ovillers-La Boisselle.
According to the 8Th Battalion War Diaries, the attack on the village was led from the south east but sustained heavy casualties of which my Gt.Uncle was one.
The "Concentration of Graves (Exhumation and Re-burials)","Burial Return" form, fourth column "Map reference where body found" must, as you say, be incorrect in giving 51d.
At the moment, I'm just trying to get my head around the side by side map you kindly attached. That could keep me busy for a while. And many thanks too for the other links. I've cleared my desk for the afternoon to digest the information you have supplied.
Many thanks, MaxD for your help.
Kind regards,
David

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to help but I must immediately correct a minor error that good Rootschat member jim1 has pointed out (gently) off line,

I mis read the northing element of the grid reference.  The correct easting and northing within the d quadrant is 6 8, as the concentration record says, not 6 3 which is what I located.  That means the position is a little further north pretty much at the end of the tree line to the north west side of the track.

If you enjoy playing with Google Earth, search on Pozieres and centering the view between Pozieres and Contalmaison, the tree lined track arcs off the minor road that joins the two villages.

Apologies for the minor hiccup and thanks again to jim1 for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
MaxD,
I'm having a super time with the maps, the links for which you sent me. Yes, I'd twigged the slight error with the northing but, heyho. The man who never made a mistake never made anything, as they say. Incidentally MaxD, the war diary for the 14th and 15th of July 1916 makes chilling reading (Hennes was killed on the 15th).
I'd say the map reference puts Hennes somewhere around the third and fourth tree by the hedgerow adjacent to the track/road from Rue de Pozieres to Voie Decanning.
I checked the AWM site but there are no maps or interactive facilities, just what the title suggests really: a memorial to the brave Australian forces who sustained substantial casualties at Pozieres Ridge.
Anyway, many thanks for your time and assistance and a Happy New Year.
Regards, David