Author Topic: so are the results of test worthwhile  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
so are the results of test worthwhile
« on: Monday 01 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
For those of you who have taken the DNA test - please can you tell me if you felt it really has been worthwhile.

There are one or two things I want to discover close to home, but have been told that the results can be random, for instance a match to one sibling may not match to a.n.other.

This is confusing.

do I take the bull by the horns, or will it just be distant - distant rellies...

I havent a clue, and the more I attempt to figure it out... the old brain cells are not having it...

is or are there laymens... laymens terms.. for all this cafuffle :)   

xin   sinking xin  :'( :-\ :-\ :-\ ::) 

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: so are the results of test worthwhile
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
My parents both took the test via Ancestry and I've been working on my mother's results. By themselves they are practically useless in my opinion- Ancestry doesn't put any work into finding identities, you have to. I have been going through matches myself to find the shared areas, detective work in abundance.

Through this, I proved that the suspected family for the father of my illegitimate 2 x gt grandmother was indeed the correct one, with multiple matches to their ancestry. Unfortunately I am unlikely to ever know which brother actually did the deed.

Elsewhere I have about 30 or so trees that I've found shared ancestors with- annoyingly, many of them are for the same areas!!- and I find satisfaction in knowing that the DNA suggestively backs up the paperwork. There are a few matches I've found, though, that match up via DNA but thus far not by paperwork, to the point where I'm wondering if someone made a whoopsie at some point. My mother has a 3-4th cousin whose daughter I've been corresponding with and so far we are all baffled where the link is.

One of the problems I've had is that I have a largely developed tree and a lot of the other people who have taken the test have not (or have not added a tree at all). That means that I can't match up where the shared ancestors are.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I see -  so you buy the donkey and then learn to ride !?  ( :-[ )  is that right..

Well luckily I am retired..which gives me lots of time to learn  .... but sadly my brain took a trippple whammy this (whoops LAST) year.. so it takes a lot to 'make it work' ..

thanks for your help and forgive my uhm... thingymy ...oooo

xin

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Pretty much.

Basically, with Ancestry, it gives you a list of matches that you can organise by date or by how closely related. You can search by surname, but I haven't had good luck with this.

It also gives you green leaf hints with other matches "this person appears to be in both your trees!" kind of stuff. I have got six green leaf hints out of 160 odd matches and one of those is complete hokey. Ancestry said it was a glitch but there's no option of "no, this hint is wrong, please remove it."

When you click into the profiles, it shows a snapshot of the person's tree (if they've attached it) and a box of "these surnames appear in both your trees". If you are like me with a myriad of Smith, Jones, Brown etc, these might not be hugely useful! It can point the finger however. There's also a tab for "Shared Matches". In my opinion this tab is a bit unreliable but once you've got matches appearing you can start to map out where certain people fall in your tree. For example, my mother's uncle also tested so if he appears as a shared match then I know that the person must be related via my mother's father and cuts out half the tree already. The aforementioned 3-4th cousin has five people in common with me and four of those I know the shared ancestor. Unfortunately that has only made me somewhat more convinced of a whoops child!

For ease of doing that, I bookmark (little gold star) everyone whose match I've confirmed. I have the actual links in a document. You can leave notes on the profile but I've never been sure who can see the notes you leave!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
My son bought my husband and I DNA test kits for Christmas, but they are 23andme, so I've no idea what results we will get.  We've not done them yet as they are more complicated than the ones where you just rub a swab round your mouth. 

With 23andme, you have to wait until 30 minutes after you've last eaten or drunk anything, then there is a test tube about 1/2 inch in diameter with a funnel on top into which you have to spit saliva, until a mark on the tube, which is about 1/2 inch from the bottom - so quite a lot of saliva and the instructions say it can take from 2-5 minutes to collect enough.  Then you put the lid on which splits some covering and releases fluid which mixes with the saliva.  Having done that you remove that lid and put on a screw top that is supplied.  Put the whole thing into a plastic bag and put into the stamped and addressed box provided.  Post and wait for the results.  ::)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
For those of you who have taken the DNA test - please can you tell me if you felt it really has been worthwhile.

There are one or two things I want to discover close to home, but have been told that the results can be random, for instance a match to one sibling may not match to a.n.other.

This is confusing.

do I take the bull by the horns, or will it just be distant - distant rellies...

I havent a clue, and the more I attempt to figure it out... the old brain cells are not having it...

is or are there laymens... laymens terms.. for all this cafuffle :)   

xin   sinking xin  :'( :-\ :-\ :-\ ::) 

If you have plenty of money to squander then go for it; if you have an inquiring mind you should find the results at least interesting if not useful.

IF you do decide to take a DNA test do so based on your own research into what DNA can show not what a company’s advertising appears to promise.

What I find interesting is the number of genealogists who only follow the strict blood lineages never perusing the wider family who rush to purchase DNA kits to test for the widest lineage possible.

People seem to forget that these “big” databases complied by DNA testing companies are actually tiny databases when compared to a country’s population and miniscule when compared to world population.
This means that all their claims are simply guesses, it cannot even be proven that DNA is unique. It is probably correct that DNA is unique but until millions more people take DNA tests even that very basic assumption is just that an assumption.

That is the way science progresses, people put forward a theory based on assumptions and small scale tests which other people then in turn test this in turn leads to other theories being put forward and tested.
Each theory stands until tests in the future show it to be wrong and a further theory more accurate.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for responses :)  really help
and Guy your wise mind yet again explains beautifully x

(when can I admit - I am still 'confusilode' -(Stanley Unwin :) )

I will digest after the trail to the supermarket.

xin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
It's been very worthwhile for me.   

Quite a few official records (death certificates and marriage certificates) for my relatives are either unintentionally incorrect, deliberately incorrect, or simply missing useful information.  Records that could help with the paper trail had been exhausted.  I had hunches, but something else that would verify my hypotheses (but which conflicted with official records) would be great.

For two lines now DNA has verified who two sets of gtgtgt-grandparents were.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I guess it's more likely to be worthwhile if you do an Ancestry test.  I don't know what worth we will get from the DNA test our son sent us for Christmas.  He did one in USA, where he lives, which I think might have been an Ancestry DNA test and he got two matches.  One didn't respond to him, the other gave him lots of surnames of her ancestors but none that are in our family tree.  She was supposed to be his 4th cousin, but I've got further back than that and not one single surname the American woman gave my son is in my tree, and I've got names of spouses of many ancestors.

My son asked her to give him some idea where these people came from originally, but the woman didn't respond the 2nd time.