Author Topic: so are the results of test worthwhile  (Read 7269 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: so are the results of test worthwhile
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 January 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, hurworth, you make it sound quite promising.

Are you in the UK?

No.  My gtgtgt-grandfather married in Scotland and emigrated to the Antipodes a short time later. 

The first DNA match descended from his half-sibling lives in Canada.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
A first cousin once removed did the ancestry test and was contacted by someone in New Zealand whose line I had been working on.  She was descended from a sister of his great (my 2X great) grandmother.  It finally proved our supposition of whom our 2 or 3 X great grandparents were.  Still haven't found my 2 X great grandmothers baptism and many have looked.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I carried out the 23andme test on 6th December 2017. The procudure was straight forward and the instructions good. It took 6weeks for the sample to arrive and now I have to wait 6-8 weeks for the results. Not sure how helpful the results will be.
Unfortunately my parents are deceased so I will not be able to follow up with further tests.
I will let you know how I get on.
I'm allowing my results to be used for medical research investigations; that is why I selected 23andme rather than Ancestry.
Coles (Torquay Devon), Thomas (Teignmouth Devon), Dobb (Devon), Venn (Exeter Devon)Langdon (Devon)

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I took advantage of Ancestry's £49 test just before Christmas and now await the results.

I'm not sure what to expect but having researched my tree for the last 20 years i'm looking forward to some positive matches.

Jay

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 January 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see the offer at that price :(  its £79.00 now.. which is a whole weeks pension :( so I am having to really consider the cost...

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see the offer at that price :(  its £79.00 now.. which is a whole weeks pension :( so I am having to really consider the cost...

xin

And I see that the £79 excludes delivery charge. I wonder how much that adds to it.

Don't know about you xinia, but it just serves me right for failing to make my mind up about ordering a kit when it was on offer. I take so long to make my mind up about these things as I hate not having a good idea of what I'm getting myself into! My Libran qualitles coming out - got to weigh everything up!!

The question now is do I go for it at £79 + postage or will there be another discount offer around the corner?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I believe the £49 offer was in the Black Friday sale (late November) so you could expect similar this Black Friday if you can wait until then.

Also I don't think any offer includes the postage which is always £20 on top.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I've thought about doing it for awhile but the price has always put me off. When I saw the offer I decided to bite the bullet & do it.

Jill if you're in no rush & can wait I would hold off & see if any offers come online.

Jay

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Pheno - by 'this Black Friday' do you mean November 2018? I was rather hoping they might have another offer before then!

I'm not in any great tearing hurry, JayG (or I wouldn't have procrastinated for so long)! Can anyone remember the timing of offers last year?

But, REALLY, £20 postage??? Do they send it by personal courier???  ::) ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.