Author Topic: so are the results of test worthwhile  (Read 7235 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: so are the results of test worthwhile
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, everyone can upload their DNA data to gedcom regardless of which company you took the test with so on that site you should get matches.

Also I had a DNA match with someone in Australia but without any matching surnames and my not knowing of any relatives in Australia.  After following specific lines  we discovered that someone who had left these shores as Henry Wray had arrived in Australia as Henry Campbell (his mother's maiden name) and that her descent was through him.  As he was fairly distant to me I had not tracked him down in the years since his departure so I did not know that he had gone to Australia.  Subsequent paper records have proved this but the initial link was our DNA match.

So just because there are no matching surnames don't give up.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes it has.My maternal side great grandfather changed his name , we had sorted the paper trail and our dna has been pointed towards the suspected family several times.He's deffo found out. We were given a clue as we knew what the surname was changed to and area he was from. If you can get any other member of the family to test as it helps sort the matches out by comparing them to each other and it helps to decide what side of the family they come from. Also ancestry and 23 and me don't allow uploads of dna from other sites. I would do ancestrydna first and then download raw data from there an upload to other sites for free such as ftdna and my heritage. Go for it Xin if you like puzzle solving. You do have the problem on all sites that some don't have a tree or its private or they have n't linked there dna to their tree.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Well as we've got the tests we're obviously going to do them and see what we find out from there. 

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks to all x

I have spoken to my nephew and he is going to show me the ropes... so there is a chance

we shall see :)

However I keep wondering if  :) :)  I have it taken and then my records are added to a world wide database, they may (just may --- I saw it happen in a film :) ) confuse me with some mass murderer...  for some questionable reason :) :) :) 

xin

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
My old dad has a DNA kit on his dining room table, it's a one big NO from him he's not doing it , he's 96 still as bright as a button but says it would worry him. He's the last of his line too . It looks like it's me who is going to be doing it, my sister and cousin have done theirs and are a match ( our mothers were sisters), I just wonder if it's worth me bothering........Still the things on the table  :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes
No
Maybe

Depends on what you think it can do. Or what you want it for. I wanted it to see if it helped with some brickwalls and after 14 months I have broken/confirmed one brickwall and taken a line a little further back

So yes it gave me 2 names to check the paper record. I think this is the biggest point. Dont use DNA alone to try and find ancestors. Continue to use the paper records to verify, the same way you would verify newspaper records against what you have already found

No it hasnt been the magic bullet I had initially hoped. I have struggled at times understanding the wider implications and manifestations of it all xx here and y123 and DOC345 etc but that is on me.

Maybe in the future it will become clearer. There have been a few '' ok I matched with someone and both our paper records indicate we are related to this person'' moments and thats great. It confirms the paper record. But we are not suddenly email buddies or inviting people over for a family reunion.

All in all for me its about the future, whether that is mine or my sons to utilise is in the hands of fate. But its there on record so that one day , as Guy noted, it can be disproved or proved.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
One of my 2x great grandfathers - George Bishop - left his wife and family and, reportedly (there's a short newspaper report on the scandal), tootled off to the USA with another man's wife.

This was in 1853 and I haven't been able to find any sign of him after that date. Before I found the newspaper article, I'd just about exhausted all possible death certs in this country, so am assuming he did indeed emigrate.

My questions: am I at all likely to find an American connection to George through DNA testing? Is it too far back? Are Americans more or less likely than us to do these Ancestry DNA tests in the UK?

Of course, I have plenty of other brickwalls, but all further back than George so presumably they are much too early to be 'picked up' in a test?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
It's possible you might find him.

Several gtgt-grandchildren of my gtgtgt-grandfather have tested.  He had a tenancy on a farm in Scotland and was the father of my gtgt-grandfather.   They weren't married.  He is named as the father in the parish minutes and ordered to pay to support his child.  We didn't know what happened to him after that but a family historian had noticed that someone with the same name married three or four years later about 20 miles away and took out a tenancy on a farm there.

One day a match came up that matched several of our branch.  She was a VERY good match to one of them, a poor match to another and a moderately good match to the poor match's sister.  The new match was descended from the man who had married three or four years after our ancestor was born.  Since then the new match's mother has tested and she's a better match.

It was helped by the fact that our illegitimate ancestor and his wife had a huge family, so there's lots of descendants to test and more of them are popping up all the time.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, hurworth, you make it sound quite promising.

Are you in the UK?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.