Author Topic: so are the results of test worthwhile  (Read 7236 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: so are the results of test worthwhile
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 January 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes I mean November 2018 for the very lowest offer there is likely to be.  Will be others during year - particularly Mother's and Father's day I think but I don't remember any of those being as low as the Black Friday one.

OK, £20 steep but you don't want the sample getting lost do you and having to fork out for another test.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 January 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I did think the £20 postage was abit steep but in my case when you factor in the kit is shipped from the US to Dublin then couriered to you, then returned in the post to Dublin and shipped back to the US it doesn't seem that bad after all.

Jay

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 January 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
After having abit of a search on google it was on offer at £49 in November 2016 and 2017 so will more than likely be again this November.  But like Pheno says there will be offers before then but I don't think they'll match the Black Friday one.

Jay

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 13 January 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I did think the £20 postage was abit steep but in my case when you factor in the kit is shipped from the US to Dublin then couriered to you, then returned in the post to Dublin and shipped back to the US it doesn't seem that bad after all.

Jay

No, when you put it like that, it seems reasonable after all.

Just googled the date of mothers day - March 11th - so I might wait and see if there are any offers around then.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
U know what !!! -- I bit the bullet - but it was so hard I broke 4 teeth (didn't really cos I haven't got any left :) !!!!)

I was lucky enough, to receive an insurance refund!!! after they had added extras to my DD without telling me and I managed to realise, what was going on  lackadaisically I do not check DD's as often as I should so it had crept up. 

Anyway

sorry wandering off again.   I have sent off my £99.00 (bloomin heck) to see what will happen.   So watch this space.
I thought better do it now .. cos it will then be there for my descendants.... at least..

If I now find out all my cousins are not mine.. I shall go and cry in a corner...

let you know all in good time..

or should I say,

watch this space......

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Good for you, xinia. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and stop messing about - and go for it.

If it doesn't back up my own research, I might ask for a refund!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yes lets collectively  ask (everso nicely of course)  when we discover King Lear is not our Cousin 20 times removed.  :) 
xin

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 January 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
It very much depends on what you are hoping to achieve.

Both you and any siblings tested will have slightly different results because of the nature of acquired parental DNA but they will still flag up as being very, very closely related as will a parent, grandparent or cousins.

If, as someone I know, you were hoping to discover whether you have Viking ancestry, then you'd be very disappointed.

However, if you've got a good paper trail going but want to track down some cousins who ought to share some DNA with you and may know more about the family, then providing they've got a family tree and actually answer your message, you could learn something new or have a query confirmed ;D

If you've been following a particular lineage but find your DNA matches have completely different information/trees it could point to an "anomaly" in parentage or that one or both of you have got incorrect information.

I'm hoping that there will one day be a match from my mother's Irish Harringtons who will fill in the enormous chasm of missing information which makes up my current research on this family. So far the only matches are those who are already close family and have used my research.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784043.msg6391794#msg6391794

This was the thread I started about my own unrealistic expectations from DNA testing.

I spent some time doing research for a 'likely 4th cousin' in a part of his tree which he'd not researched (he doesn't seem to have done much genealogy at all), but despite geographical similarities couldn't find a match.

I'd done 23andme for the research contribution and the health info, but unfortunately the raw data from this is not allowed to be entered on to Ancestry.

Spookily got an Ancestry test for Christmas from someone who didn't know I'd done one already.

Spat into the tube this morning - it's not at all difficult - so let's see if Ancestry, where all my family research is located, can bring up any interesting matches for me.

Fingers crossed.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex