Author Topic: 33 generation tree  (Read 5526 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 33 generation tree
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Getting a bit off topic I think.

I was interested as I would not know where to start once I had got back to the 1700's  1600's :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

I find your post very interesting.  Someone who I am supposedly related to is claiming he can trace our tree back to the Viking's and even further and naming some VERY big names in history!!!

I thought I'd try to mimic the tree and prove it, but I cant even get back past the 1600's.  Any tips on where to begin.

Regards,

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »

You initially ask where to begin a tree.

Then you say you are "determined to have a tree."

But you also seem to be claiming to have researched 33 generations, in which case don't you already have a tree?  :-\

My thought process couldn't get beyond this sequence either!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Someone right here on RootsChat offered to connect me and my tree, step by step, all the way back to Noah - say, 180 generations.  Unfortunately, though, I couldn't take him/her up on this fabulous [in more ways than one] offer due to a vexing unresolved illegitimacy issue in 1869 which prevented me from reliably connecting myself to the main trunk.  So it goes.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
In view of the original unclear request, might it be an idea to start at the top of the tree and work downwards, to find out if you could end up at yourself - as it were?   ;)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Are there any suggestions as to where to begin a tree full of 33 generations dating back to the Vikings.
I feel looking at a tree gives you more idea of the overall result.
I am proud of myself but I am determined to have a tree of some sort.
Any help appreciated.
Annette

As you can tell from the replies your queation has caused some confusion. However yes it is possible to have a 33 generation tree, for example my 32nd great grandfather is William I. Needless to say when youy get that far back finding evidence can be very difficult and thus back then you have very few lines. If your question is how do you start a 33 generation then the old genealogical advice of start with yourself and work back generation by generation with "reliable" sources. Obviouly in some case, many cases?, the sources get lost and so toy cannot progress those lines.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
We all usually start with ourselves, and work back down the generations - that's the safest way, isn't it? And because we don't make wild guesses, or slide dates and relationships to fit, that's probably why so few of us can get back beyond 1650s, or relate to famous names!
I assume that Annette is a fantastic and diligent researcher, very well-connected family, and with a huge pile of well-researched material, and wants to draw something worth putting on display (on a very large wall?) - but not all those fancy nobility and royal trees are all they're made out to be. Many an ancestor has been slipped from one side of a blanket to another, to clean up a claim!
I drew my far more humble mob all out by hand, in fine line pencil first, then with a fine line pen, two colours only - red for direct, black for the rest - and a ruler - and several very carefully joined large sheets of paper just for the mob I've got, and the very earliest anywhere there is 1580! Interesting large roll to store though! Can't imagine a longer trail back being at all easy.
Andrew Tarr - what do you think are the chances the OP would end up with themselves at the end?
Erato: are you any good at building Arks? It might run in the family. It's rained enough today here that we could do with one, please!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »

You initially ask where to begin a tree.

Then you say you are "determined to have a tree."

But you also seem to be claiming to have researched 33 generations, in which case don't you already have a tree?  :-\

My thought process couldn't get beyond this sequence either!

I assumed that as Annette had been on rootschat since 2004 that their tree was well established and not just beginning  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Actually this is interesting as a 33 Generation tree may not go back as far as some might think.

A tree descending through mother’s male lineage stating in circa 1450 is 13 generations to my grandchildren, however a tree from my male lineage starting in 1410 to my grandchildren is 21 generations.
Only 40 years between two people living at the same time yet a difference of 7 generations in the trees.
Some families have children earlier than other families.

Incidentally a basic lineage chart of the first family mentioned (my mother’s) can be printed on one A2 (16.5 x 23.4 inches) sheet of paper.

Both of these trees only display the main family line including children of each generation.
Often called a pedigree chart.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.