Author Topic: Updating Ancestry public trees from laptop data?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Ancestry public trees from laptop data?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I have just downloaded the free version of rootsmagic and you can sync with Ancestry but only if you pay for the full version this was on windows 10 but presume it would work the same with linx

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Roots Magic Paid Version (not exactly expensive compared to the price of FTM2017) sync's manually with Ancestry trees after the initial download (or upload).  It compares the two trees and you have to accept the changes at which point it downloads or uploads them.  Yes it can be laborious but I've found it helpful spotting some mistakes on the Ancestry tree (which I host for a friend) where merging of records had added name variations and other things.  However, for a program that isn't resource hungry (unlike FTM2014 when I used it), its not bad at all for the money.

Last time I looked they were still offering a discounted new licence purchase for any FTM owners.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have found a useful way forward - for DNA matching, only the direct ancestors matter.

So I have used the filtering features of my Gramps to export a limited number of generations, and stripped off most of my 5 years research. But there's enough for DNA purposes.

I have uploaded this skeleton tree and made it public.

This doesn't solve but bypasses the issue of updating my "big tree".

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk