Author Topic: John Clapham Male Case Book, Lincoln Asylum, Image Page 440.  (Read 702 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Clapham Male Case Book, Lincoln Asylum, Image Page 440.
« on: Tuesday 02 January 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,

The above was my 4x great granddad.
This was his case book when he entered Lincoln Asylum in 1867. It is (original page number) 396. He was patient number 1807.
I can't seem to decipher a word that comes after "His", on the top line in the image.
The transcription reads (continued from the previous page):
"...was out of his mind. His (?) during present attack has been chiefly shown by the above delusion regarding his daughter and his occasional violence when he gets a little drunk."
Here is a link to the page:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=537517&iid=625862

I also can't quite make out what it states about his pulse. It is the word after "pulse". It says something like:
"pulse rather small(?) frequent."
This to me doesn't quite make that much sense.

John was also admitted a second time to the Asylum, in 1869. Here is the image link to this admission:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Male-Case-Book/537517.record?ImageId=626037&pt=T&tid=502216
It goes onto the other side of the page again.
What I don't quite understand also, is the fact that I know that John died in the Asylum, on the 21st of December, 1869, according to Ancestry: "UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912 (Jno. Clapham)".
The above record gives his admission date of the 18th of May 1869 (the same as his case book). But there is nothing in his case book, recording anything after June the 1st 1869. The case book does not mention his death.

If any one has any suggestions I would be very grateful indeed.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Clapham Male Case Book, Lincoln Asylum, Image Page 440.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »

"...was out of his mind. His (?) during present attack has been chiefly shown by the above delusion regarding his daughter and his occasional violence when he gets a little drunk."

Insanity
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »

Insanity

Hello.
Thank you, yes it could well be that.

Cheers!  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I think the line relating to his pulse does say: "rather small". I suppose it meant that his pulse was not very strong.  :)