Author Topic: Death of Robert Wadsworth from Heptonstall  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death of Robert Wadsworth from Heptonstall
« on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone confirm the name of this mill, where Robert Wadsworth lost his life, I believe it says Handgan Royal Mill

Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Robert Wadsworth from Heptonstall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Handgan Royd   :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
The second word is Royd - a common element in Yorkshire place names, meaning a clearing.

I haven't found anything to identify Handgan Royd Mill, other than a location in Hebden Bridge - see http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/archive/downloads/billsofsale.pdf (quite near the top of the page)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
'Royd'
It's a local place name term

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I saw Hanging Royd Mill on a map and wondered if it might be the same. However, the map showed it as being used for some kind of textile manufacture, whereas the document I came across mentioned a corn miller.

Maureen's find seems to suggest that it was indeed the same building: it was originally a corn mill, owned by the Cockcroft family (which is what my find said), but was later used for producing fustian. And Maureen's document also suggests some variation in the name of the mill.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of newspaper articles referring to Hanging Royd Mill at Hebden Bridge.

JJ

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone, it all makes sense, Robert was a fustian cutter

Thanks once again

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline ollie_r

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Yep it's Hangingroyd Mill. Lay where Waterside Fold in Hebden Bridge now is.

"It was originally a corn mill, owned by the Cockcroft family (which is what my find said), but was later used for producing fustian. And Maureen's document also suggests some variation in the name of the mill."

Earliest surviving records (Halifax-cum-Heptonstall manor) have it rented out to the Robertshaw family from at least the 1570s. It passed through several generations, before Richard Robertshaw sold it to his first cousin William Cockcroft in the 1670s/80s. I understand that these mills were once lucrative when tenants of the manor had to pay to use them, but by the early 1600s the operators of some of the other Halifax mills started to complain they were too expensive to maintain and too many people were evading using them.

Also it is constantly referred to as a "corn mill" but I don't think they could grow corn in that area? I always took these to be bad Latin translations of a flour grinding mill for oats and barley.