Author Topic: William Ord  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Ord
« on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Hopefully someone may read this who can help me out with information relating to William Ord, a copperplate printer, who lived on both the Gateshead and Newcastle sides of the Tyne. In terms of definite information, I know he married Ann Mordue on 25 October 1812, they had 9 children, he died in July 1830 and I believe he was buried at Ballast Hills cemetery.

I am hoping someone may be able to provide information regarding his parentage. I have reached a dead end and my search has been further complicated by a William Ord Esq of Fenham who was alive at the same time as William Ord the printer.

Fingers crossed 2018 is the year I can get a bit further with this branch of my tree.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Ord
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean 1830 for his death?  Do you have an age at death (burial) in order to work out an approx. year of birth?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb,

Yes, that should have been 1830. I believe he was 39 when he was buried so would’ve been born around 1791.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has the following baptism

William Ord born 22 December 1790 baptised 6 February 1791 Newcastle St John the Baptist. Parents George Ord, a Breechesmaker, and Jane.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
There are these Marriages  around the same time as William/Anns in Newcastle upon Tyne;
Mary ORD to John MORDUE 24 Feb 1812
Matthew MORDUE to Phillis Elizabeth ROBINSON  02 Jul 1815

Now it is possible with the Mary Ord/John Mordue Marriage that siblings married siblings.

John and Ann Mordue were siblings Bapt 1785/1779 to Matthew, occp dyer, and Ann
(Looks to me that on Anns Bapt her Father has been incorrectly down as Martin)
Matthew Mordue married Ann HALLOWELL  17 Nov 1784 Newcastle

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Hopefully someone may read this who can help me out with information relating to William Ord, a copperplate printer, who lived on both the Gateshead and Newcastle sides of the Tyne. In terms of definite information, I know he married Ann Mordue on 25 October 1812, they had 9 children, he died in July 1830 and I believe he was buried at Ballast Hills cemetery.

I am hoping someone may be able to provide information regarding his parentage. I have reached a dead end and my search has been further complicated by a William Ord Esq of Fenham who was alive at the same time as William Ord the printer.

Fingers crossed 2018 is the year I can get a bit further with this branch of my tree.

Hello

Ballast Hills Burial Ground

The Burial Registers of Ballast Hills only survive from 1792 onward (to 1853), although the Ballast Hills Dissenters Cemetery is much older according to surviving Memorial Inscriptions. The burials are only indexed by surname back to 1812.

Also a Monumental Inscriptions Book for Ballast Hills Burial Ground survives (transcribed) recorded about 200 years ago.

78 results for general documents relating to Ballast Hills
http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/DServe2/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

The main Ballast Hills Burial Ground, Burial Registers come under ... (there is another separate series of Registers which are only extracts of Registers apparently)

CE.BA/33 Burial Registers 1792 to 1853
"give area of residence, name, occupation and age and if a wife or child a note of husbands or fathers trade or profession" 11 Volumes.
http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/DServe2/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=NaviTree.tcl&dsqField=RefNo&dsqItem=CE.BA/33#HERE

Trouble is the Archive Search Fees were about £30 an hour, although they did post a photocopy of one 1811m/film Burial Register photocopy entry, one photocopy list of a transcribed index from 1812 to early 1830s and some M.I pages, for my surname of interest.

Ord

I believe one Ord was an M.P., some are in the Gentleman's Magazine online and at least one Ord was a Hoastman (alias Hostman) in the Newcastle upon Tyne area (apparently controlling the shipping of coal), according to an online book.

ORD Family of "Fenham Hall" website here ...
http://broadsides.me.uk/music/ordname.htm

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! I think I can offer assistance with this family as my first cousin 1x was Henrietta Morton who married William Gordon Mordue in 1909 in Newcastle. I do have further details on both the Ord and Mordue lines a bit further back, along with children. If this is helpful, I will be pleased to provide more details. Sincerely, patrexjax wishing all a most happy new year!
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I am at Newcastle library.  I asked the staff for help with finding William's burial.  I was given a microfiche of burials showing  ten William Ords who were buried in the Newcastle area at that time. Only one was buried in 1830 (22 April) but he was only aged 11 months.  None were aged 39.

What a puzzle!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

River Tyne Lass, that is definitely a mystery. I have William being buried on the 13 July 1830 at Ballast Hills Cemetery. His daughter, Ann (b.1815) was also buried there on 8 January 1819, aged 4.

Patrexjax, I haven't come across a William Gordon Mordue in my tree but it's possible he may be related so would be interested to hear what other information you have in relation to the Ord's and Mordue's.

BushInn1746, thanks for the information. I'm not handy for the archives in Newcastle to visit personally, so I might have to resort to the search fees if posting on here doesn't shed any light.

Trish1120, I believe Matthew Ord who married Phyllis Elizabeth Robinson was the brother on "my" Ann Ord nee Mordue. John could potentially be her brother as well, but I've been unsuccessful finding any information regarding the marriage and subsequent family/life of John Mordue and Mary Ord.

Emeltom, thank you for the FreeReg reference. I have seen this, the only thing not sitting well with me is that I've noticed that names seem to be continued in this line of my tree and there are no mentions of any more George's or Jane's on this branch.

Thanks to you all for your help!