Author Topic: George Sutherland, b. 1793 Scotland, d. 1863, Weldford, Kent, NB, Canada  (Read 1637 times)

Offline JohnSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Sutherland, b. 1793 Scotland, d. 1863, Weldford, Kent, NB, Canada
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Sandra,

Thank you.  Remember, I am just now returning to this search from several years ago.  I have also tried to contact Lauri with regard to updated information she may have.  This may or may not be of help in my search for James' mother, i.e. George's first wife.

But it is still interesting, and as I put more of George's life back together, I'm sure all of this will be valuable.

John

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 January 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
It is a bit of a task and maybe will not lead to anything but it is easy to eliminate some Georges born Scotland c 1792-1794.

Enter into Familysearch.Org;

George Sutherland, birth place Scotland 1792-1794.

Several christenings come up;
Further down the page are some Census entries.

So the GS born 1793 Old Machar, Aberdeen, seems to still appear on the 1861 Census
Same for the GS born Durness.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JohnSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 January 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

It appears that George did marry two widows, first Mary (----) Ferguson, and second Elizabeth (----) Manson, both in Weldford Parish.  There does appear to still be a conflict in son James DoB, whether it was in 1821 as his grave marker tells us (Findagrave memorial # 106664150), or whether his DoB was in 1826 as the 1861 census suggests.

I am going to try and use the Sutherland Family Tree at Ancestry, and the Findagrave memorial(s) as a depository of what I know about James and his father George.  Hopefully I will eventually determine the rest of George's story, as well as how George arrived in New Brunswick, and where he was eventually buried.

Thanks for your ongoing thoughts and help with this search.  Everything counts, and I appreciate your help.

John