Author Topic: George Sutherland, b. 1793 Scotland, d. 1863, Weldford, Kent, NB, Canada  (Read 1650 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: George Sutherland, b. 1793 Scotland, d. 1863, Weldford, Kent, NB, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to that 1861 Census Sandra?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 18 08:26 GMT (UK) »
1861 Weldford Kent Ontario - anc have George, Ann, Eleanor on a separate entry but they are part of the Sutherland household.  There is also a Daniel Sutherland listed in the Ferguson household above James - not sure if he would be related or not.

Daniel Sutherland aged 20 years. Servant aged 20 years. Native Scotch.

John Sutherland aged 35 years farmer and lumber. Native Scotch.
Mary Sutherland 35 years. Native Scotch.
Alexander Sutherland 6 years. Native.
Robert Sutherland 5 years. Native.
Mary Sutherland 2 years. Native
George Sutherland aged 68 years born Scotland.
Ann Campbell 18 house servant. Native Scotch.
Eleanor Connors aged 25 years. Teacher -Roman Catholic.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Daniel A Sutherland mentioned above - married Agnes Stuart in 1882 Amherst Cumberland Nova Scotia.
On the marriage cert - his parents are Geo and Elizabeth.  ???

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1809-210&Event=marriage&ID=27595

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JohnSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Tricia, Sandra,

Here is a bit more history of what I understand about James Sutherland (my great grandfather), his family, and his father George Sutherland (my great-great grandfather).

There was no 1851 Weldford census that I am aware of.  As I recall, the 1851 census was destroyed, perhaps in a fire.  This 1861 Weldford census is probably the first document that I saw that confirmed for me that George Sutherland was James’ father.  James died in 1869 and George died in 1863 so neither man shows up in the 1871 census.  James' wife Mary (Lawson) Sutherland does show up in the 1871 Weldford census as a widow with the seven surviving Sutherland children.  The 1881 Weldford census shows Mary Sutherland now married to Andrew Dale and living with seven surviving Dale children from Andrew's first wife Amelia, also Andrew's mother (Mary SPORES Dale) and also Mary's youngest son James Sutherland (age 13).

George's son James Sutherland’s religion was, as was that of his family, Scotch Presbyterian.  James was a contractor and bridge builder in St. John, NB and he died on Apr 9, 1869 while building a bridge in Saint John, NB.  James left his wife Mary $400.

Mary Lawson was born in Main River, Kent, NB, to Robert Lawson and Jane Underwood-Trimble.  Mary Lawson became Mary Sutherland when she married first James Sutherland on Jan 2, 1854, and became Mary Dale when she married second, Andrew Dale as his second wife, on Apr 2, 1877.

James and Mary (Lawson) Sutherland were married in Richibucto on Jan 2, 1854, and had eight children, including: Alexander, Robert Lawson, Mary Esdale, George (b. Jun, 1861, d. Aug 27, 1861), Jane, George, Elizabeth (Lizzie), and James.  Andrew and Mary (Lawson) Dale had no children that I am aware of, but Andrew was married three times and had nine children with his first wife, Amelia Penrose MacArthie, and one child with his third wife, Martha Ann Boyce.

Mary (Lawson) Dale died of cancer on a farm in Main River, Kent, NB on Mar 24, 1884.  James Sutherland and his wife Mary Dale are both buried in St Andrew's Cemetery in Rexton, Kent, NB (see Findagrave memorials # 106664150 and # 106664408 respectively).  Mary Dale's grave is located next to that of her first husband, James Sutherland.  Andrew Dale is buried in Saint Paul’s Anglican Church Cemetery in Richibucto, Kent, NB (see Findagrave memorial # 106664779).

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline JohnSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Sandra,

I don't have a burial location for George, just that he is likely buried in Weldford.

Side Note:  When the province of New Brunswick was established in 1784 it consisted of eight counties. These original counties were later divided into fifteen (15) counties. The counties in turn are divided into civil parishes similar to townships found in the US.   

The parishes of Wellington and Carleton were created in 1814 as part of Northumberland County (one of the original 8 New Brunswick counties).  Kent County was formed from Northumberland County in 1826.  Weldford Parish was established in 1835 from part of Richibucto Parish.   Researchers should remember that pre-1826 records for Kent County may be included with the Northumberland County records.

John

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper articles for New Brunswick collected by Daniel F. Johnson does show a Jan 8, 1839 entry which might be of interest

M. 31st ult Richibucto (Kent Co)
George Sutherland to Mrs. Elizabeth Manson
both of Weldford

Offline JohnSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Cosmac,

Thank you.  Interesting.  Since George's son James was born ca 1821, I suspect this may be George's second marriage.

John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm you already had the 1839 marriage info from ancestry message board post in December 2014
(and a suggestion of the first marriage)

https://www.ancestry.ca/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1192&p=localities.northam.canada.newbrunswick.kent

Sandra