Author Topic: Best place to post?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Best place to post?
« on: Wednesday 03 January 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I've gone as far as I can with my biggest family mystery, so it's time to ask fellow RootsChatters for a fresh perspective. I'm wondering about the best way to approach this, to make the most efficient use of the forum.

This branch of the family were originally from Middlesex and spent a couple of generations in Rugby. There was then an emigration to the USA, followed by a mystery few years, after which some but not all of the family become visible again in Middlesex and Nottingham.

I have a lot of background information and will do my best to summarise without overloading, but I could do with some advice on where to post. As the heart of the mystery is what happened to the family members who never returned from the USA (because I can't find any relevant records) I guess posting to the 'United States of America' board is the best place to start.

Do you think it's best to simply do this one post as a starting point, then see what responses come back before posting further? Or would shorter, additional posts to the Warwickshire and London & Middlesex boards also be appropriate, summarising the issue from that geographic perspective?

I guess from a conceptual point of view I'm asking for opinions on whether to pursue a serial or parallel approach. Look forward to anyone's thoughts.

BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to post?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right, start with America and see what comes from that.  If you start several posts they will probably start to overlap so best to see what you get then progress from there where necessary

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
If in doubt, post in the Common Room.  :)

Maybe include place names in your subject heading to attract any members who may have specialities in certain countries or areas.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Rosie and start in the US as that is where they were last seen :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
It sounds sensible to start on the USA board as suggested above by Rosie99 and Milliepede.
Always state exactly what you already have (if anything) so that we do not repea/duplicatet the same searches.

Good Luck
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, good advice. My gut feeling was a single post to get the ball rolling. Standard practice: start with the last thing you know, then work forwards/backwards from there. In this case, forwards, as backwards is fairly well established.

I'll do it to the USA board, because the biggest puzzle/frustration is not having any further visibility of them following immigration. The 'Common Room' suggestion is helpful, especially as the Warks angle could involve Leics & Northants borders too.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
There is also England General - Posts about England not specific to a county.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
More facts. Names of the people, places, dates, in the USA. I would like to see your people in Pennsylvania rather in New Mexico. USA is a big place with varying records.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Sandra - thanks, I'll bear that in mind. If no further USA evidence can be found, that might be appropriate.

Barryd - I have only a single immigration record: the ship's manifest produced at Castle Garden. After that, nothing. Hard to say whether this is because they were there for a limited period of time, or due to my inexperience with USA/Canada records.

I'm drafting a post to kick things off. I keep adding UK-based background info to provide pre- and post-immigration context, then taking it out again to avoid an overwhelming flood of information. Might take me a few days to get the balance right.