Author Topic: Did you buy A Tower of London Poppy?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Did you buy A Tower of London Poppy?
« on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
For those who bought a ceramic poppy there is an opportunity to place it on a map here:

https://www.wherearethepoppiesnow.org.uk/

In this final year of the Centenary of WW1 I think this is a great opportunity to add your poppy and the story behind it.

Lest We Forget.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Did you buy A Tower of London Poppy?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »

Interesting idea Carol............hope they get a great response.....

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra, 30,000 people have placed their poppies on the map so far but still a long way to go so I will keep spreading the word  ;) Still a way to go to map the 888,246 poppies bought. I have pinned mine  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  for posting the link.
 I have added the poppy I bought in remembrance of my Gt. Uncle Fred. Having visited his peaceful grave site in France when I saw that you could purchase one of these beautiful poppies I didn't hesitate. They looked a wonderful site around the tower which I also visited.

I have him to thank for bringing together my mothers side of the family as he came from a large family of 14 and there are lots of cousins with wonderful stories ranging from age 90 to 50!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Planted.  Thank you for the link.

Lest we forget.
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome...Pleased that you were able to get a poppy as many didn't get the opportunity.
We will remember them.
Carol