Author Topic: Harmston baptism.  (Read 902 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Harmston baptism.
« on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone with access to FindMyPast or anywhere else that has the digital copies of the Harmston PRs could do me a big favour please?

I have tried to copy the entry I want with a view to posting it on here - but its beaten me!

Its a baptism on 28 June 1724 for "Mary, posthumous daughter of Robert Smith of -----? near Sheffield in the County of Yorkshire and Mary his wife."

Needless to say, I need to know where Robert came from in order to follow his line back. It looks a bit like Archway to me but perhaps someone with better knowledge of the Sheffield area might be able to decipher it!! With a surname like Smith, it becomes even more crucial!!

I'd be grateful for any help.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Harmston baptism.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
This may possibly be of help to you - Sheffield parish

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Sheffield
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both.

I've looked through the list of Sheffield parishes but can't seem to match any of them up with the scrawl in the parish register.

I tried to find Robert Smith's burial in or near Harmston - must have been in 1723/4 if Mary was his 'posthumous daughter' - in the hope it might give his age at death but no luck so far. I suppose there may have been more of a gap between his daughter's baptism in June 1724 and his death but nothing is looking hopeful so far! I can't find any likely siblings either but it looks as if they may have moved about a bit.

This branch is proving one of those that you could swear and scream at - it took me years to discover it was a Mary Smith who married my Thomas Barsley in Digby in 1754. Its also virtually illegible in the PRs but someone must have deciphered it as she's named in the Lincs Marriage Index on FindMyPast.

The 1724 baptism for a Mary Smith in Harmston is the only one I can find that looks plausible and I was hoping to follow that back in order to try and 'prove' I'd got the right baptism.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I`ve just taken a quick look at FreeReg; the only burial listed in the 1723/24 period in Yorkshire is this

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818b5d7e93790de6af89300?search_id=5a4e4677f493fd0c29bcd1ba&ucf=false

I don`t know if it`s of any help.