Author Topic: Looking for descendants  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Pjfeather

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for descendants
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am looking for any descendants of Alexander Forsyth and Helen Soutar/Richard Forsyth and Mary Lawson - my grandfather Andrew (son of Richard) moved here to Western Australia early 1900's and we know he still had family in Dundee at the time. Would love to connect with anyone from that line who has been doing the family tree like me! Cheers Pj

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, PJ.

Have you got some dates of birth for any of those people, so we know which family you are trying to make contact with?

Have you looked in 'Surname Interests', under 'Your Tools', below, to see if anyone is researching your family?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Is this your grandfather, or did he arrive earlier?
Andrew Forsyth age 20 birth about 1893 departed 19th July 1913 from London to Fremantle

Or this one travelling with family
Andrew Forsyth age 13 born about 1884 departed on 18th February 1897 from London to Sydney
 Travelled with Richard, 41, potter, Peter, 1, Edward, 8, Margaret, 2, and Mrs F, 40.  All have lines drawn through their names, as do many others on the page.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this Andrew and parents, etc?

1901 census
Living in St Clement registration district. Dundee, Angus at 20 Carmichael St
Richard S Forsyth   28 confectionery packing room hand
Mary Forsyth   28
Andrew S Forsyth   8
Mary Forsyth   6
Richard S Forsyth   4  born Dundee
Ellen S Forsyth   1

Added:
Looks like him:
Birth from Scotlands people:
Andrew Soutar Forsyth born 1892 in St Andrew, Dundee

and Andrew's Father's birth
Richard Soutar Forsyth born 24th December 1872 in Arbroath Angus Scotland, father Alexander Forsyth, mother Helen Soutar.

Offline Pjfeather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is the Andrew Forsyth born 1892 St Andrew Dundee emigrated to Australia 1913 and the rest about Richard is correct too. Cheers Pj

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
  There was a Richard S Souter who married a Helen Henderson Blyth in 1925 at Balmerino.      This would be the Richard Forsyth who was born in 1896.     Balmerino is at Newport on Tay, Fifeshire.

Now there is a Richard Souter Forsyth, who died aged 80 at Dundee in 1976, and his mother's name was Lawson, so this must be the Richard Forsyth who was born about 1873.    In other words, he would be the father of the above Richard, born 1896.

Helen Henderson Forsyth died aged 81 in 1978 at Dundee, so it looks like Richard Souter Forsyth & Helen Henderson Blyth possibly lived all their lives in Dundee.      I should imagine there may be children dating from the time they were married in 1925.

...Also, I think that Richard S Forsyth and Mary may have had a child named Jessie in 1903 at Dundee.      I can tell this by going to the 1911 census, typing in Forsyth, and looking to see who has the same census number as Richard S Forsyth.       They had Mary, Richard & Ellen on the 1901 census, so Jessie was aged 8 on the 1911, unless I am mistaken

P.S.    There was a Forsyth child born in 1927 at St Clement, Dundee who had the middle name Lawson,
and I think this may be Richard & Helen's child.      (Don't know if I am permitted to give the full name as it is less than 100 years since the child was born)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Is this yours (third one down)?

https://www.myheritage.com/names/helen_souter

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you used scotlandspeople to look for possible births, marriages and deaths?

e.g. Ellen S age 1 in 1901

This may be a mis-transcription as:
Ellen Soutar Forsyth born 1893 (282/4 861) in St Andrew, Dundee

Ellen Soutar Forsyth married George Ross in Arbroath and St Vigeans in 1923  (272/6)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The names Balmarino and Souter jumped out at me . I have a JOHNSTONE thread that stems from Balmarino and they married an Elizabeth Nairn supposedly the daughter of John Nairn [born 1807 fie] and Elizabeth Souter [born 1805 Perthshire.

John NAIRN.b.22.2.1807.Fife.d.?.m.Elizebath SOUTER.b.5.5.1805.Perthshire.

Any chance of a connection?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.