Author Topic: David Morgan - born 1852 Stoke Lacy?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline warwickconway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Morgan - born 1852 Stoke Lacy?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I don’t have a copy of the marriage certificate of Mary Ann Griffiths and David Morgan. I only have the marriage certificate of the second marriage to Emily, this was gave me David’s father’s name.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh sorry.  I see you did say that.

The reason I ask is because in Talachddu in 1861 there is a Maryanne Griffiths, 5, daughter of David Griffiths.  This is consistent with your Mary Ann's birthplace as claimed in a later census.

At the next address on the census sheet is a David Morgan, 9, son of Thomas, a farm labourer - leading me to wonder whether the two might have been neighbours in childhood.  It would not of course explain where Stoke Lacy comes into it, and farm labourer is not a perfect match for gardener - but a market gardener could have been described as either.

Obviously these are common names in the region.  I'd suggest the 1882 certificate would be well worth the £9.25.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I was running on the same lines as you, avm228, but then on the 1881 census David Morgan bn Talchddu is in Lewisham, so is probably not the same person.

Offline warwickconway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
From what I can recall (I don’t have the census in front of me) when I looked on the 1881 census Mary Ann and David were already married. If so, the Merthyr marriage may be inaccurate as it is too late.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
From what I can recall (I don’t have the census in front of me) when I looked on the 1881 census Mary Ann and David were already married. If so, the Merthyr marriage may be inaccurate as it is too late.

That's why you need the certificate- but just because they said they were married doesn't mean they actually were.

Mind you, they were already settled in Aston by 1881, so Merthyr is not an obvious location for a later marriage - especially as neither seems to have been from Merthyr.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I was running on the same lines as you, avm228, but then on the 1881 census David Morgan bn Talchddu is in Lewisham, so is probably not the same person.

Ah.  Shame!  I must say the Stoke Lacy bit is mysterious indeed.

Offline warwickconway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 January 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Ah.  Shame!  I must say the Stoke Lacy bit is mysterious indeed.

Maybe I should skip a generation and try to work back from Thomas Morgan the gardener. If his son David was born approximately 1852 near Stoke Lacy, maybe Thomas Morgan was in the area in 1851.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 January 18 05:51 GMT (UK) »
I live a few miles from Stoke Lacy.  It's such a small village I wonder why David would consistently list this as his birthplace unless he was born/lived there at  some point.   I have tried following other David's born about the same time in the area with no success so far.   I can't see an obvious Thomas Morgan living in the Reg Disricts of Bromyard or Leominster in the 1851 census either

I notice that when David died in 1911 probate was granted to his wife and a James Wiggett assistant foreman.  Do you know who James Wiggett was and whether he might have been a relative??

Kay

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 January 18 06:29 GMT (UK) »

I would'nt rule it out just yet, on the '81 and '91 census's she says she was born Brecknockshire, Wales , here are 2 possible births...

Mary Ann Griffiths, 1855, Crickhowell, Brecknockshire. 11B  118
Mary Ann Griffiths, 1855, Brecknock, Brecknockshire.  11B  109