Author Topic: Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience?
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I'm posting this query here because I'm not sure where else it should go. If anyone has a better suggestion, I will ask the moderator to move this thread.

This is not a photograph I am writing about. It is a 1840's oil-on-linen portrait of an ancestor which I lucked into on a well-known internet auction site. I have no doubts as to its authenticity. But ... the years have not been kind to it - the linen has been torn in several places and fairly large chunks of the paint have flaked away.

Before I start contacting art galleries to get recommendations on restorers and estimates of costs (and ... Gulp! - I expect that will be expensive), I'd like to pick your brains on the subject. Do any of you have experience on this subject? Am I correct in believing that laser light on the paint stains on the linen will reveal the outlines and colour schemes of the missing bits? What is the minimum I can expect to pay? How long a job will it be? Stuff like that.

Can anyone help?

Hopefully,
Westoe

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westoe, Sorry I can't help with advice on restoration but if you can scan or photograph it then we could try to get you a repair that will print out.
I would take it to a local art dealer to get some advice. It is worth saving although I expect it to be costly  :-\
Good Luck.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't help either, but if you search online for 'oil painting restoration' there are many articles and youtube videos on what is involved in the restoration process.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
An art gallery may also be of use in recommendating on restorers.

You probably need an unbiased opinion and at this point steer away from anyone who may expect to earn a pound or two from you.

Depending on the quality of the portrait and it's estimated value, you may find that a restorer's fees far exceed the value of the painting. However for sentimental reasons it may be worth it for you.

I have no clue about costs though. Each case will be different and it will depend on many factors as to how much a restoration may cost.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for wanting to help, but these replies ignore the question in the title line. I want to hear only from people who have had experience so as not to waste anyone's time.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for wanting to help, but these replies ignore the question in the title line. I want to hear only from people who have had experience so as not to waste anyone's time.

Cheers,
Westoe
It's not exactly a frequent DIY activity  :P :P :P
How long it takes and how much it costs will depend on lots of things - e.g. how big it is (which you haven't indicated); how much it has deteriorated and whether it is salvageable;  how old it is, for availability of suitable restorative agents;  etc etc; and, in the end, how much you want to spend on it, moneywise and timewise.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Before you do anything, you need to consult an expert to see if it is worth restoration.

Judging by the many thousands I know it cost to have an extremely large oil painting cleaned and restored recently. I imagine even a small painting, with the kind of damage you describe,  the cost would run into four figures.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Westoe,
I too have no experience, BUT if you live anywhere near Whitchurch, Shropshire, I went in  a shop there a couple of months ago and could not believe what they could do. There were before and after pics, and one in the window part done, and some for sale which to me did not seem expensive and which I was almost tempted to buy, just was not sure about the um - well the pros don`t like restored stuff, but I thought there and then that if I were to have a family pic in need of TLC I would try them. I was really impressed. Of course charges may be more if you want something done
Will find name of shop if you are interested.

Jackie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I've had some super photos of oil paintings restored on here by our wonderfully talented people, and they all turned up trumps for me!  I'd start by taking a photo of it and posting it up for a trial.  That way, you can still have a beautiful restoration, just in case restoring the actual painting will cost you and arm and a leg (more probably both arms and legs) as I'm sure it would.

The restorations I had done on here, are now framed and hanging proudly, and have been admired by many people. 

Give it a go on here - I'm sure it'll be worth it and for certain you'll have nothing to lose!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections