Author Topic: Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a School of Art in Seville that practices restoration :)   well it did in 2004  - they are so clever.  Not sure of costs or anything, - its just that your post reminded me.. of the Wonderful students that worked so hard on very old religious paintings...

sorry its a bit of a useless response.

xin

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Before you do anything, you need to consult an expert to see if it is worth restoration.

It is my ancestor. That automatically makes it worth restoring.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Will find name of shop if you are interested.
Jackie

Thank you, Jackie, but (grin) Shropshire is a bit out of the way for me here in central Canada.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:29 GMT (UK) »
I've had some super photos of oil paintings restored on here by our wonderfully talented people, and they all turned up trumps for me!  I'd start by taking a photo of it and posting it up for a trial.  That way, you can still have a beautiful restoration, just in case restoring the actual painting will cost you and arm and a leg (more probably both arms and legs) as I'm sure it would.

Give it a go on here - I'm sure it'll be worth it and for certain you'll have nothing to lose!

Thank you jaybelnz, but actually I do have something to lose because I'd be dependent on someone else's idea of the shape of the mouth, that being one of the chunks that is missing. That's why I asked if there were any truth in this theory I've been told about laser lighting giving clues to the shape and original colouration of the missing bits.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Restoration - Anyone here with previous experience? CLOSED
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, but it's time to close this thread. Apparently there is no one here with the personal experience.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Once you find a restorer Westoe, it might be of interest to many of us to see a "before" and "after" photo, and if you don't mind, an estimate of cost to undertake the restoration, in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

I am sure that each restoration will entail different challenges so no case will be the same, but a guide might be useful.

My sister had a couple of oil paintings (on board, not canvas) restored several years ago. The restorer required cash up front in order to purchase the materials (which I thought seemed odd). I think he may have needed to match paint colours and I believe he used something which softened the dried and flaked paint. I think it cost in the many hundreds of (Australian) dollars, but the restorer did a good job.  :)

Good luck with your restoration.

Added: I believe that the usefulness of the laser may depend on how the work was painted. If the artist drew outlines and then infilled with paint, you may find the laser picks up on overpainted linework. However this still may not be accurate as an artist may draw then redraw linework and when painting over this, may vary it again. You have not given much detail about the work or the damage, but if the mouth was damaged I'm afraid you might have to be content with a restorer's impression of how the original looked.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Just be careful you don't end up with something like this:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/80-year-old-woman-restores-100-year-old-masterpiece/

;D :'(

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections