Author Topic: Jane Perfett & sons - immigration mystery  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Perfett & sons - immigration mystery
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the events following the immigration of Jane Perfett and her sons to the USA. I have the ship's manifest for the SS Egypt voyage from Liverpool, UK to New York, arriving 5 May 1873. This includes Jane Perfett (age 37, 'wife'), George (11), Frank (4) and John ("infant").

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-R9SW-JB?i=404&cc=1849782

I have not found an immigration record for Jane's husband, George William Perfett.  I have found no further trace of any of them in the USA after this immigration (via Castle Gardens) and could do with some help.

Back in the UK, I have Middlesex death and burial records for husband George in 1877 at the relatively young age of 38. Next sightings of sons George (George Edward) and Frank (Frank William) are in the 1881 census, respectively in Nottingham (working on the railway) and Middlesex (living with grandparents, noted on census as nephew but the age is about right).

So whether or not George William emigrated remains unknown. The return of George Edward and Frank William is established by the fact of their presence in the UK, though I have no record of the return itself. I am currently assuming that Jane and John must have died in the USA; I have found no relevant UK death records.

The final page of the ship's manifest shows two infant deaths at sea, neither of which is John.

'John' must surely be youngest son Alexander Frederick Perfett (registered as Perfitt), born 30 Sep 1872. Birth registered in Rugby (Warks, UK), where they were living at the time, mother's maiden name correct (Whyman in this entry, though Whyment in most other records), and registered by his father.

I have done extensive research on the Perfett family - apparently their preferred spelling, though they do appear here and there as Perfitt, Perfit, Perfect, and so on - and have a fairly detailed picture of them going back two further generations from George William. I have also followed his siblings' lines further down, and can get to present day from his son George Edward.

Jane Whyment was born around 1835, just before the advent of UK civil registration, and has been more difficult to pin down. The Whyment family census record for 1851 places them in Swinford (Leics) with several births in Clipston (Northants). Post-marriage (1860), Jane's place of birth declared in 1861 & 71 census is Kilsby (Northants).

George William Perfett was a railway worker: an engine driver by 1871, also given as his occupation on his 1877 death certificate. Might or might not be relevant to an emigration and record sources. Also, a UK smallpox epidemic reached its peak in 1872; another motivator, alongside a new-born son?

I have a LOT more UK-oriented information on the Perfetts, omitted here for the sake of brevity. I would like to focus on USA (& Canada?) records at this stage. If no further trace of them can be found in North America, I will return to researching the UK.

Any help, whether factual or simply "Have you looked at x?" gratefully appreciated. Not sure whether my inexperience with USA records is an issue, or other factors (e.g. I remember reading that there are many limitations facing research of NY-area deaths around this period).

BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Perfett & sons - immigration mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
UK return passenger lists cover 1878 - 1960  If Jane & the boys return between 1873 - 1878 they would not show.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Statewide registration of deaths began in 1880/1881 in New York so if Jane died you might not find any record.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. Yes, I have already encountered these two challenges. My gut feeling is that I am simply not going to find any evidence, but am happy to be proved wrong  :)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I've found her - just over a year after I came across the original immigration record, and five months after I created this thread on RootsChat. She's buried in Hawley, Clay, MN, with her younger brother. Rather than repeating the details here, you can find them on the Find A Grave memorial for which I'm now responsible:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172849112

Work in progress, so I'll be updating it as I discover more. For the benefit (and motivation) of anyone else despairing at ever breaking through a particular brick wall, I can only say: keep chipping away at it. I had a moment of inspiration this weekend, which was sustained by some helpful Ancestry family tree information and the diligence of a Find A Grave contributor.

In this particular case, mis-transcriptions were a significant issue - in the original source material rather than on present-day websites. 'Perfect' for Perfett isn't new to me, but I've never seen it represented as 'Serfett' before. And 'Whynwerd' for Whyment is quite spectacular. This isn't particularly novel advice, but: don't just rely on indexes, browse the record set.

So I have a new-found connection to a corner of the world that I would probably otherwise never have paid much attention to. And one mystery is replaced by another, as I must now work out what on earth happened to Jane's husband, who apparently died a whole continent away from his second wife and his new-born son, only a couple of years later.