Author Topic: Paisley Poor Law Records  (Read 8896 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Poor Law Records
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I have just received one of these image today - and yes, done from New Zealand!
The best way I find to pay for things in the UK is to phone through your card details.
You can get a 'phone card' called 'Cheap Chat' at a local dairy. (There are lots others I believe, but have found this one works fine).
You load say $5 on it at the dairy (not sure what the minimum is - may be less), then it costs about 4 cents a  minute to ring the UK. My call to Carol, the nice lady in the Paisley Heritage centre, yesterday must have lasted all of 4 minutes. She will send you her ordinary number there so you're not ringing some expensive toll number, if you ask her in the email you send requesting the entry you want.

Hope this helps.

Added after your post Ladybird.
I have been to the Paisley RO/Heritage Centre. (Some years ago on a visit to Scotland). It is very small! I don't think they are inundated with phone calls! I requested a copy one day, had an email straight back, and rang up to pay the same day. Very quick service.
I have used this system - giving details over the phone, not just with them, but with other other ROs too. Most of them seem to run on a shoestring, and don't have more sophisticated banking systems. Seems to work fine.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Goldie61 something to think about  :)
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Sylvia, I ended up not ordering the record.
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, I may have to bite the bullet on this.
Entry says the wife was insane (which I knew) and record seems to go from her 1st trip to the asylum on the day of her 1st child's birth up until she was transferred to Edinburgh many years later. She was in and out of hospital for years but managed to have 6 children, one of them my grandfather. I would like to know what her diagnosis was and what was said about her, poor thing. She died in Edinburgh's Kingseat mental hospital.
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for posting link to poor laws for Paisley.Had a look and my grandfathers parents are there for when his father was in poor house hospital..He died there. 1906.Also his great grandparents.Also found my gggreat grandmothers maiden name .Thanks again.Marguerite.

Offline weeblether

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
What a great link, thank you for posting it. I found a few family members there but one did make me wonder. My family member was sent to the State Home Perth, for three years for drunkenness ! Her husband had passed away and she had 3 young children.  It seems very harsh, would she have been rehabilitated there ? Or was this just punishment?  Was the State Home "Perth Jail"?  Would a court have given her this sentence? If so where would I find the court record? So many questions, I hope some one can help with them. Thank you, weeblether

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi weeblether
As the title of this post is 'Paisley Poor Law Records', and it is on the Renfrewshire board, I think it pretty unlikely anybody will read your post who might be able to answer the questions you have about the State Home Perth.
I would suggest you start a new post in the board for Perthshire (I presume you mean Perth in Perthshire?), with an appropriate heading, outlining the queries you have about the State Home and Perth Jail.

I see there is a FAmily History Centre in Perth
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/15024/Family-History-Centre
You could contact them to see what information they have.

Offline weeblether

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 September 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you goldie61, I got this information from Paisley Poor law Records and wondered at her being sent to Perth as she lived in Paisley and was sent from there. I will try the Family History Centre and do as you suggest and start a new post for Perth. I imagined she might have been tried in a Paisley Court but not sure if you can get court records. Thank you for your help, much appreciated. weeblether

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 September 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the actual page from the PAisley poor Law records? Or is this just the information you got from the on-line index?
If you haven't got the original document, I think it would be well worth sending for - the few I've seen contain much more information than the index.
It sounds from what you say, that she applied for relief from Paisley, but they will not have wanted to spend money if there was someway out of it, and if she was 'sent to Perth', then I'd suggest that is where she came from, and they would have sent her back there. It's unlikely she was tried in a Paisley court as you suggest. The Poor Law board had the power, as far as I understand it, to make these decisions.
Do you know for sure she went back to Perth?
If the decision of the Poor Board was not to pay her, and send her to Perth, I don't think they had any power to actually force her to go - they just wouldn't give her any  money.
I have an ancestor who applied for Poor Relief, but the decision of the board was to not pay her and to send her back to where she had resided previously to Paisley (although she had lived in Paisley before that). But I know she didn't go. She is in the next census for Paisley, and then died there. She must have found some other way to survive without any help from the Poor Board.