Author Topic: Paisley Poor Law Records  (Read 8946 times)

Offline Keckers

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Finlay Carmichael 1854-1933
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Poor Law Records
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I've been sitting here wondering why my great granddad was in the Poor Law records? OK he'd just got out of the army but they weren't destitute by any means? Intrigued, have ordered :-)
Thanks Keckers what a great resource, might even get me back into FH again, it's been a few years :-)

The Abbey Poor House provided parochial support and also had a hospital wing to it, there could be various reasons. The lady at the resource centre was excellent. Happy searching.
Family names and connections I’m researching.

McKechnie (Ireland, Johnstone, Old Monkland, Bartiebeith, Easterhouse, Auchinloch)
Stewart (Ireland, Johnstone)
Connolly/Connelly (Ireland, Cavan, Cootehill, St Rollox and Townhead Glasgow)
Morrow (Ireland, Enniskillen, Paisley)
Howard (Ireland, Garngad/Garngadhill)
Gamble/Gambell (Ireland, Glasgow)
Carmichael (Manchester, Campsie, New Kilpatrick )
Hendry/Henry (Ireland,Broxburn, Coatbridge Old Monkland)
McLelland (Ireland, Coatbridge, Old Monkland)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 18 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keckers, have saved it for future use ... my 3rd ggrandfather is on there, I ordered his records a few years ago, and must admit, I had a lump in my throat reading it.  Even mentioned that two children went to America.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 January 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this Keckers. Very interesting.

A few comments.
1. As this index is made up from 4 different Parochial Boards in Paisley, the information given in THIS index against each person’s name varies.
Sometimes you get the date of application and place of residence; sometimes not that information at all, but you do get the names of other people mentioned in the application, (husbands, wives, children etc); sometimes you get all that information, and sometimes nothing at all!
That doesn’t mean to say the rest of the information doesn’t appear on the actual application.
I have one that in this index only gives the date, residence, and place of birth (actually mis-transcribed), but on the actual application it gives a absolute treasure trove of information about the family - I was lucky enough to go to the actual Paisley Heritage Centre a few years ago and found this application, which broke down a brick wall of some 30 years!  to say I was very excited was putting it mildly!
So don’t be put off if the information you’re looking for is not indexed - it may well be on the original application.
2. The names of married women can be under married name or maiden name. (I know I’m preaching to the converted here if you’re used to searching Scottish records).
3. Married women can also be down under their husband’s first name - eg, I know that ‘Paton, James, widow’ is actually an application by Elizabeth Paton as the widow of James - this was quite a tricky one to find.

Good hunting!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Keckers

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Finlay Carmichael 1854-1933
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 January 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this Keckers. Very interesting.

A few comments.
1. As this index is made up from 4 different Parochial Boards in Paisley, the information given in THIS index against each person’s name varies.
Sometimes you get the date of application and place of residence; sometimes not that information at all, but you do get the names of other people mentioned in the application, (husbands, wives, children etc); sometimes you get all that information, and sometimes nothing at all!
That doesn’t mean to say the rest of the information doesn’t appear on the actual application.
I have one that in this index only gives the date, residence, and place of birth (actually mis-transcribed), but on the actual application it gives a absolute treasure trove of information about the family - I was lucky enough to go to the actual Paisley Heritage Centre a few years ago and found this application, which broke down a brick wall of some 30 years!  to say I was very excited was putting it mildly!
So don’t be put off if the information you’re looking for is not indexed - it may well be on the original application.
2. The names of married women can be under married name or maiden name. (I know I’m preaching to the converted here if you’re used to searching Scottish records).
3. Married women can also be down under their husband’s first name - eg, I know that ‘Paton, James, widow’ is actually an application by Elizabeth Paton as the widow of James - this was quite a tricky one to find.

Good hunting!

Yes indeed all valid points, the staff at the Heritage Centre indicated as such to me. I had about three or four entries and the religion changed on each one as did the record of whether they could read, nevertheless the information was better than what I had.
Family names and connections I’m researching.

McKechnie (Ireland, Johnstone, Old Monkland, Bartiebeith, Easterhouse, Auchinloch)
Stewart (Ireland, Johnstone)
Connolly/Connelly (Ireland, Cavan, Cootehill, St Rollox and Townhead Glasgow)
Morrow (Ireland, Enniskillen, Paisley)
Howard (Ireland, Garngad/Garngadhill)
Gamble/Gambell (Ireland, Glasgow)
Carmichael (Manchester, Campsie, New Kilpatrick )
Hendry/Henry (Ireland,Broxburn, Coatbridge Old Monkland)
McLelland (Ireland, Coatbridge, Old Monkland)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keckers, I didn't phone (I'm in Australia!) but emailed and they were super helpful. The one entry I needed broke down two brick walls :-)
Jan

Jan, how did you pay for your copies please. I'm in NZ and they wanted me to ring with card details. Not really an option is it for us on the other side of the world
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »

Jan, how did you pay for your copies please. I'm in NZ and they wanted me to ring with card details. Not really an option is it for us on the other side of the world
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

When I did it, about 10 years ago, I went to the bank and they gave me an international money order which I then posted away, but there was a $5.00 (I think that was the amount) charge on top of that.  I actually used this method a year ago, when I wanted something from The Mitchell Library.

Cheers
KHP

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm thanks KHP didn't really want to have to go down that track, bank charges being what they are :-(  Was hoping they'd do a bank transfer. It is the easiest way for me
Sylvia
Main names:
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you ask the bank, the easiest way to do it, and what the options are, things are changing in how things are done with banking as what it was a few years ago.

Cheers
KHP

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm  ??? I don't know how big the Paisley Records Office is but surely they must have some sort of banking system in place. They must get a lot of phone calls!!...and all those card details, a little bit dangerous!
Main names:
Lincs - Smith, Vinter