Author Topic: John Henry Hill born 1757  (Read 1495 times)

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry Hill born 1757
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted,

Thanks, I thought Alexander must have died in Riga, good to have the date.  What you say about Henry is interesting.  I'd noticed the 1881 Census listing but not been sure it was him because of it saying wife Emma, but I've just found the probate and it says:

"The Will of Henry Hill formerly of Bathurst New South Wales and afterwards of 4 Myrtle-grove but late of 1 Popes-villas Paxton Park both in Sydenham in the County of Kent Gentleman who died 18 January 1886 at 1 Popes-villas was proved at the Principal Registry by Emma Day of 1 Popes-villas Spinster the sole Executrix."

From this it seems to me very likely that this is him.  Might be possible to find out more about his time in Australia . . .

I wonder whether it was him or life in Riga which Eliza Carter found difficult, or whether he left her?  I know a bit about the way of life of British Merchants in St Petersburg - online there is a thesis about them and a little bit about it has come down in the family.  I think for someone not born into that kind of life it might have been hard to cope with. 

Do you know anything about the circumstances of William dying in Rome in 1847?  Frances Hill and James Sherwood Westmacott married in Livorno in 1847:  I believe James was in Italy as part of his training as a sculptor but I've always wondered what took Frances there when the family were living in England at the time.

Best wishes,

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Taniwha37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Drosybont,
Many thanks for the Census info.
Obviously Henry never divorced and I found Eliza in 1851 and 1861 Census records still entering herself as married. I would like to send you a page on Henry and another on Eliza. You might fin them interesting. Especially Eliza's granddaughter being named Eliza Calmady Pitt Yonge and what she did in 1958.
Regards
Ted

Offline Taniwha37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Drosybont,
Thanks for the info on the Will. Never know which of Henry & Eliza wanted to get out. If he went to Australia very soon afterwards it would suggest he was the motivated one. Maybe it was like many, an arranged marriage. His family were living at Ashfield Hall, Neston, Cheshire between 1835 and 1845 for sure. The Carters lived at the Manor House, Neston. Eliza's mother Gertrude was born in West Indies.
About William. He was buried 1847 March 25th in St Petersburg. Frances married Westmacott on June 20th, 1847 at the British Consulate at Leghorn. Why was she in Italy and how did she meet Westmacott, I think she must have been on the Grand Tour for history and culture. Hence meeting a sculptor?
Regards
Ted

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted,

Thank you for the offer of information about Henry and Eliza - I'll send you a PM. 

The burial you have for William is a bit of a puzzle, because a death notice was published in the Oxford Journal on Saturday 20 March 1847:  "At Rome, William, son of the late Henry Hill, Esq. of Liverpool, aged 24."  Would they have taken the body back to St Peterburg for burial, I wonder, or is there a mistake in the newspaper notice?

You may be right about Frances travelling for her education, though the Hills travelled so much anyway that I'm surprised if more was thought necessary.  Many of the Hills married into families connected through business interests, but I'm not aware of another Hill/Westmacott connection.  I think I noted who the witnesses at the marriage were, must dig out my notes sometime.

Best wishes,

Drosybont

Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.