Author Topic: John Joseph McKeon 1901 census, Liverpool area, help please  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joseph McKeon 1901 census, Liverpool area, help please
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I have John Joseph McKeon, born 24 Dec 1862 to parents Patrick McKeon and Margaret (nee Farrel)
He appears on census returns with his family at Tenterden St, Liverpool in 1871 and 1881.

Married Q2 1888, Liverpool to Caroline Casey

One child, Annie Gertrude McKeon (MMN Casey) born 1890.

All 3 on the 1891 census at 74 Litherland Road, Bootle (which I believe was the Stanley Arms), John listed as Publican. (maybe a manager as he's not named as Licensee in Directories or newspaper snippets)

Wife Caroline died 17 Nov 1891, buried Anfield, grave order book shows John as Deed Holder and gives an address of 31, Benson Street and an occupation of Publican. Grave stone shows her to be the wife of John and his mother, Margaret was buried in the same grave in 1892 and gets billing on the gravestone. - only these two names on the stone.

1911 Census, John shown as a boarder at 44 Bengel St, Low Hill Ward, working as a restaurant porter at 'George's Restaurant'

John died 16 May 1929 at Smithdown Road Hospital, home address was 44 Bengel St, death registered by his brother, Francis. Don't know where he is buried,  possibly in the grave at Anfield but maybe no money to pay the stone mason to add him to the stone?

If anyone has the time and inclination, can they see  any sign of John in the 1901 census plus anything for Annie Gertrude after the 1891 census.

I'd also like to know, if anyone can help, if there are registers by grave number for Anfield, showing everyone buried in each purchased grave, no matter how many years passed between burials. If they do exist who holds them?

Any and all clues gratefully received :-)

Thanks

Boo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph McKeon 1901 census, Liverpool area, help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

As you have the grave details, I think cemetery records would show who is buried in the grave. I did that once with a local cemetery and got the information.

http://liverpool.gov.uk/births-marriage-deaths/deaths/burials-and-cremations/cemeteries-and-crematoria/anfield-cemetery-and-crematorium/

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Possible for 1901

21 Canning Place
H/H of a Joseph Shipman and his family, he a Publican
John McKeon 39 widower Living on Means bn Ireland

RG13 3420 44 30
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

As you have the grave details, I think cemetery records would show who is buried in the grave. I did that once with a local cemetery and got the information.

http://liverpool.gov.uk/births-marriage-deaths/deaths/burials-and-cremations/cemeteries-and-crematoria/anfield-cemetery-and-crematorium/

Heywood

Thank you, I will email them and ask if they have grave registers

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Possible for 1901

21 Canning Place
H/H of a Joseph Shipman and his family, he a Publican
John McKeon 39 widower Living on Means bn Ireland

RG13 3420 44 30

Thank you for looking. I should have said that the man I am looking for was born in Liverpool. Its still a possible as the birth places are dittoed  a LOT but the living on means doesn't ring true for what I can see of him in the records.

Boo

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning - in case you don't know - www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk
baptisms
McKeon
Carolina and John as parents - click on REQUEST FORM and you can order the baptism record for £3
just to add - it definitely has mum as Carolina - not Caroline  :) :)
ADDED - You can also purchase John and Carolinas Marriage Cert for £3  - St Philip Neri  church,Liverpool 1888 Ref No 773 :)
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/marriages.php
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that being a Publican the Brewery could have sent him well away from Liverpool to run another pub ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning - in case you don't know - www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk
baptisms
McKeon
Carolina and John as parents - click on REQUEST FORM and you can order the baptism record for £3
just to add - it definitely has mum as Carolina - not Caroline  :) :)
ADDED - You can also purchase John and Carolinas Marriage Cert for £3  - St Philip Neri  church,Liverpool 1888 Ref No 773 :)
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/marriages.php

Thank you, that could be helpful and is appreciated. Though St Nicholas RC baptisms are on Anc* and I have looked through the entire image set for 1890 and this baptism is nowhere to be seen.  I tried using the request form on the site you gave me the link for to order the marriage and am not at all sure if it was sent or not. Then I tried emailing the request and it failed to deliver.

I can contact Liverpool Archives and see if they can supply copies of the register images now that I know the churches, but am puzzled about the baptism not showing up in the Anc* images. Will have another trawl through in case I missed it.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that being a Publican the Brewery could have sent him well away from Liverpool to run another pub ??

Yes, I tried a nationwide search but still not coming up. Though the spelling variations of McKeon are legion (both on the images and with mistranscriptions).

Boo