Author Topic: Maria Smith, British Subject born Hesse Cassel c1818, lived in Glamorgan  (Read 469 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Smith, British Subject born Hesse Cassel c1818, lived in Glamorgan
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I've exhausted every avenue I can think of in searching for Maria's family so am posting this in the hope that someone might have some fresh ideas.

In 1842 Maria Smith married Thomas Morgan in Aberdare, Glamorgan.  She was 23 24 and her father was given as Henry Smith, Mason.  Both made their mark, and the witnesses were Morgan Thomas, George Simpson & Richard Edwards.

Maria's address at marriage was Aberdare Village, but in 1841 she appears to be living in Merthyr Tydfil with John & Jane Jones. 

Maria's birth year varies wildly throughout the 1851-1901 census, but with the exception of 1881 her birth place is consistent as Hesse Cassel or Germany.

I have not been able to find any trace of Henry Smith, mason, but had assumed - perhaps wrongly - that Maria's status as a British Subject means he was British.  The 1891 census notes that she speaks both Welsh & English whereas her husband speaks only Welsh.

I've tried researching why a British stonemason would be in Hesse around the 1810-1820, but have again drawn a blank. Perhaps he was German after all, and her citizenship was through her husband?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions gladly received!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.