Author Topic: Sam Westerman - keyring or tool check free to a good home  (Read 3605 times)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sam Westerman - keyring or tool check free to a good home
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
In addition to family history, I am interested in merchants' tokens through the ages. One recent batch I bought included a brown fibre disc, about 2.5 cm wide, with the text "S WESTERMAN 6 CLOUGH STREET MORLEY" embossed on it.

I've done a quick lookup in the usual places and found a Sam Westerman living at that address in the 1939 register. He seems to have been born 14.9.1889 in Goole registration district and died 21.8.1951 at 6 Clough Street.

The disc has a hole in it so I presume it was intended to be attached to something. My guess is that it's either from a keyring or it's a tool check if Sam had to provide his own equipment/clothing/etc. at work (he worked in the cloth industry).

I have no particular interest in keeping this object, but it would be great to reunite it with Sam's descendants or relatives. I've checked on Ancestry for family trees that appear to have Sam as a close relative of the tree owner and have drawn a blank, so I thought I'd ask here.

If there's anyone out there for whom Sam Westerman is an important figure, drop me a PM and I will post it.