Author Topic: Brickwall at last removed  (Read 752 times)

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
Brickwall at last removed
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Had a request asking for help to break down a same name researcher's brick wall. I had a same name in my family history but did not think at first of any connection, but for some reason kept his info. on/in my file mainly for him having a same name descendant.  Whilst I was out of hospital and being told by my Doctor / Family not to exert myself  / don't do to much of anything, got researching back into the family. Not doing any researching for awhile of the family. I decided firstly to try and see if I could offer any help on his brickwall. 5 to 6 years had passed since we had last e-mailed. I eventually contacted him, and he informed me that he had not made any further headway since our last contact. He told me he had records of other descendent's but was unable totally to find anything on this one. The main thing hindering his progress was the descendant had appeared on records as being German born on 2 census's but then disappear's totally. ( Marriage ????? ) The German birth born bit is what was confusing. The ages on the two census also were different which also confused his research, giving him a greater varying degree to research into. With Germany being thrown his face he had totally gave up on this descendent of his. The person that I had was within a few years but I new definitely that they were born in the U.K. It had me thinking also that there couldn't any connection. He told me he had got as much as he could from surviving family - documents / Info. etc, but again the brickwall was still there, totally unmoved. He was giving me also other names, but felt were of no connection. I then asked him for all his records that he had on the family name, he sent me his census & Marriage cert details.
 The 1911 census info. that he had sent unbeleiveably had my Grandfather / Grandmother on she was infact was carrying my mother who was born later in the year entered down as Boarders. Five other people on the census were from his family. Children were entered from the family's. One of the wives was found to be in her 2nd marriage. The other was the daughter, of my Grandfather's Uncle, who totally just left his family in England, name changed, bigamously remarried. Until now within our family it's not known if he ever returned. This infact was his supposedly German born relation that he had been searching for. When her father left her mother she bigamously remarried under her married name and on the following census started to enter her birthplace as Germany. Not until she married was her father truly entered, and the fact she was married, the next census on, No.3, entered now under her married name.
  Her mother's 2 marriage certificates is how we made the connection, having the same christian name of father and he has the same occupations, only her maiden name of her first marriage did she not reveal. Unfortunately she took her own life.
          With family history you never know who / what will you find.
             Surprise's are always possible in the next e-mail you receive
                                    Happy Hunting Everyone
Confirmation of breaking the brickwall comes from the 1911 Census and finding the same similarity on the two marriage certificates
R
Regards J
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall at last removed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Well done!  That result must be very satisfying, especially after all the trouble the ancestor went to to hide their identity, and it's a great start to the new year.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall at last removed
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Well done!  That result must be very satisfying, especially after all the trouble the ancestor went to to hide their identity, and it's a great start to the new year.

Rena

Hi Rena,
 Thanks for your interest. Yes Rena , very very satisfying. Time wise not been back into F/ H long but at present the family must put this at the top of our brickwall smashing lists. It does show & really prove, finding the truth can be hard.We expect the records to be correct, but when you find that they have been deliberately altered, you really find it hard to accept and really wonder why, but should accept the reason why it was done. The good part of this is that I have found another distant relation, connection through my Great Grandfathers brother ( ???? ) who the present family never new existed but we have found since the release of the 1911 census. It's understandable my new found relation was brickwall blocked. He only had what he had, & saw what was in front him, persistently only referring, going by the names that had and did not think of the maiden name / German born deliberate changes. He thought that I was totally wrong in my findings, but when we put together the relations first and second marriage certificates and found /saw what we had, the supposedly Germans daughter marriage which showed who her father really was and not of being born in Germany.  Then comes the 1911 census which shows that together were children from the 1st. Marriage, 2nd Marriage my Grandfather & Grandmother, who at the time was expecting my own mother,and a sister of my mother's. With these final findings I think he accepted that his brickwall was now totally demolished, and then he say's what's next J.

Regards Just J
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How they tried to hide their bigamous marriage.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Had a request asking for help to break down a same name researcher's brick wall. I had a same name in my family history but did not think at first of any connection, but for some reason kept his info. on/in my file mainly for him having a same name descendant.  Whilst I was out of hospital and being told by my Doctor / Family not to exert myself  / don't do to much of anything, got researching back into the family history. Not doing any researching for awhile of the family. I decided firstly to try and see if I could offer any help on the brickwall of his. 5 to 6 years had passed since we had last e-mailed. I eventually contacted him, and he informed me that he had not made any further headway since our last contact. He told me he had records of other descendent's but was unable totally to find anything that connected. The main thing hindering his progress was a descendant of his on records as being German born on 2 census's but then disappear's totally. Us thinking marriage perhaps???  The German birth born we were still doubting, also on the first census when the father had left, the daughter's first name was shortened / altered from Esther to Hettie confusing us again. The ages on previous censuses also were different which also confused his research, giving him a greater varying degree to research into. With Germany being thrown in his face he had totally given up on this descendent of his. The person that I had was within a few years but I new definitely that they were born in the U.K. It had me thinking also that there couldn't any connection. He told me he had got as much as he could from surviving family - documents / Info. etc, but again the brickwall totally unmoved. He was giving me also other names, but felt were of no connection. I then asked him to supply me with all his records that he had on the family, he sent me all he had all his census & Marriage cert details etc..
 The 1911 census info. that he had sent unbeleiveably had my Grandfather / Grandmother on. She was infact was carrying my mother who was born later in the year, entered down as being Boarders in the household. Five other people on the census were from the families.  One of the wives was found to be in her 2nd marriage. The other was the daughter, of my Grandfather's Uncle, who totally just left his family in England, name changed, bigamously remarried. Until now within our family it's not known if he ever returned. This infact was his supposedly German born relation that he had been searching for. When her father left her mother she bigamously remarried under her married name and on the following census started to enter her Daughter's birthplace as Germany as her daughters place of birth.Not until the daughter married was the father's name truly entered. Come the next census,10 years from when she last entered as being born in Germany, now married, who was going to question the marriage certificate entering of father who had left years before, and was /  the Germany born info. be of any importance to anyone anymore?? 
  Her mother's 2 marriage certificates is how we made the connection, having the same christian name of father, changed her father's surname to her married. The father had the same occupations, only her maiden name was removed. Unfortunately, sadly, she eventually took her own life.
  They obviously did not try to hide the father, only to cover up his existence from when he left. 
          With family history you never know who / what will you find.
             Surprise's are always possible in the next e-mail you receive
                                    Happy Hunting Everyone
Confirmation of breaking the brickwall comes from the 1911 Census and finding the same similarity on the two marriage certificates

Regards Just J
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES