Author Topic: Coyne, St. Michan's Parish, Dublin  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Missy3455

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coyne, St. Michan's Parish, Dublin
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I found my husband's Coyne family in Dublin from at least 1858 until they left Ireland for the US in 1865. In one of the Census here in the US, the mother, Eliza Foster Coyne, indicates that she had 11 children with only 5 surviving. I can only account for 8 of them. 5 in Dublin and 3 in the US. I feel like I've exhausted my overseas on line research and could use some advice on where to turn. I'm traveling to Dublin, Ireland in June and plan to do some research while there, but in the meantime...any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to find a couple of pieces of information:

1.  Where were they prior to Dublin?
2.  What happened to their children that were baptized but never made the trip to the US?

Here is what I have from the St. Michan's records on line at Ancestry and Family Search:

Roger Coyne married Eliza Foster on 15 Feb 1858 at St. Michan's. He resided at 46 Church St and she resided at 64 Church St. His parents were Roger Coyne and Mary unknown. Her parents were William Foster and Anne unknown.

When their first child is baptized on 23 Nov 1858, Roger is listed as John. The child is John Joseph.
When their next child is baptized on 1 Feb 1860, his name is listed as Roderick. The child is Roderick.
When their next child is baptized on 30 July 1861, his name is listed as Roderick. The child is William.
For the next child baptized on 22 Apr 1863, his is also listed as Roderick and the child is Francis.
The last child I find is baptized on 16 April 1865 and he is listed as Roger. This child is Patrick.

William and Roderick do not cross the ocean with them in September 1865.

I have not been able to find any burial records in any of the St. Michan's records on line for William or Roderick.

I have been unable to locate any other Roger's or Roderick's in Dublin. Making it even more difficult is that I can't find the birth records for my Roger Coyne or Eliza Foster and the census records in the US list his birthplace as Ireland in some records and England in others. Roger's tombstone here in the US has his DOB as being in 1840 but I haven't been able to locate him at all. Eliza's birthdate ranges from 1834 to 1838. Her death certificate is suspect at this point because the names of her parents don't match what I found in St. Michan's marriage records and I'm pretty certain I have the correct couple. John Joseph's birthdate is a year off here in the US. They have him born in 1859...but it appears he was actually born in 1858.

Does this family sound familiar to anyone? And any suggestions where I can start to look in Dublin when I travel there?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I've been researching this family for about 15 years and just found them in Dublin about 2 years ago. I'd love to be able to figure out exactly where they are from before I get to Ireland so I can include that as a place to stop on our trip.

Thank you!!
Missy (Wood) Coyne

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coyne, St. Michan's Parish, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Roger Coyne listed as chair maker on son Patrick's 1865 birth certificate- living at 5 Lower Church St.- child's name written as Roger then changed to Patrick-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03574/2317206.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
worth checking Glasnevin Cemetery for possible burials  eg includes at least two Coyne children in the 1860s with address which includes "Church St", a Roger age 9 months in 1860, and a William age 10 months in 1862

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
RC St.Mitchan's
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l9i/
Can anyone read the last coloum of the first page?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »

Offline Missy3455

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »

Well...I didn't realize that they were two different churches. When I look it up, I get the page for the one that is currently the Church of Ireland, but it says that it was previously a RC Church. I'm getting the info from what is posted on line so I'm not sure which one it is now.

Offline Missy3455

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Roger Coyne listed as chair maker on son Patrick's 1865 birth certificate- living at 5 Lower Church St.- child's name written as Roger then changed to Patrick-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03574/2317206.pdf

I did not think to look in the civil registers. I will have to look there for the rest of them as well. Thank you!!