Author Topic: Help needed with Mothers Maiden Name  (Read 1689 times)

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed with Mothers Maiden Name
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
This is a snippet from an 1863 Gloucester Massachusetts death record for Catherine (Byrne) Duffy that lists the names and birthplace of her parents. Catherine is originally from Westmeath. I can’t determine what is her mother’s maiden name? To me, it looks like Grosler, but I can’t find any records with that name.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Mothers Maiden Name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Grosler to me, too.

Putting the word into Google, it comes up with an Ingrid Grosler on a social media site, so it is a surname.  Origin? 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I found some trees on ancestry with the Grosler surname but they all have German origins. I was expecting Irish or English. Thank you Dawn!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
That was I think it says too...maybe you could try the alternative spelling of Grossly.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 January 18 03:11 GMT (UK) »
After a bit of googling around, I don't envy your task.

If your Grosler is of German/Austrian/Swiss origin there could be numerous variations to check out. It may be one of many, many variants originating as a name given to a big person: “Gross”, “Gros” or “Grose”. The name apparently became so common (like “Schmidt”) that people were encouraged to add suffixes (e.g. “Grossman”, meaning “big man”; Grossbauer” (“big farmer”); and “Grosslicht” (“goodlight”); and many, many others.

To further complicate matters, there are also (mis)spelling variations that add an “o” (“Groosler” etc) and ones that drop the “r” (like  “Goos” and “Goss”) with and without suffixes like “man” and “ler”. (While “Gross” and “Goss” have completely different origins, because of spelling and pronunciation variables you end up with crossovers.) I’ve also seen “Von Grossler” (plus variants).

Numerous Austrian spelling variations (Grießler, Griessler, Grassler, Graßler, Grössler, Grossler, Griesler, Grässler, Gressler, Großler, Grasler, Greßler, Gräßler, Grissler and Grösler) are given on this site:
http://namenskarten.lima-city.at/austria/Größler/

Perhaps searches using wildcards like *Gr*sl* or *G*sl* will capture many of the variants.

Good luck!

Peter

Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 January 18 05:14 GMT (UK) »
This is a snippet from an 1863 Gloucester Massachusetts death record for Catherine (Byrne) Duffy that lists the names and birthplace of her parents. Catherine is originally from Westmeath. I can’t determine what is her mother’s maiden name? To me, it looks like Grosler, but I can’t find any records with that name.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On FS there was  a John Byrne born in Westmeath
Name   John Byrne
Event Type   Pension
Event Year Range   1760-1913
Event Place   United Kingdom
Birthplace   Westmeath
Birth Year (Estimated)   1789

From United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records and theses are on Find my past.  Some records are quite full and perhaps this John is a relation and being Army records they may have recorded the mother's name more clearly.

The other idea is to find her marriage certificate as these generally were recorded by the people themselves and they would have usually got it right!

ETA Just now wondering if you would confirm which is her maiden surname

Byrne/Burns & variations or Duffy

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 January 18 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I have noted that the original of the death certificate has the MS as Burns.

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 January 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
familysearch.org has the record

Name    Catherine Burns Duffy
Event Type    Death
Event Date    28 Oct 1863
Event Place    Gloucester, Massachusetts
Gender    Female
Age    65
Marital Status    Widowed
Birthplace    Ireland
Birth Year (Estimated)    1798
Father's Name    Matthew
Father's Birthplace    Ireland
Mother's Name    Bridget Grosler
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the parish register entry for her marriage, her maiden name was Byrne.
Her father was Matthew Byrne and her mom was Bridget G??   She married a man named Thomas Duffy.
I never thought about looking through records from England. That is another source that I need to try.
It is funny that the death records show her estimated age to be 65 (born in 1798). Yet her gravestone says she was 74, which means she could have been born in 1789. The information must have been reported by 2 different people.
Thank you all for your help.
Auntie