Author Topic: Help needed with Mothers Maiden Name  (Read 1698 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Mothers Maiden Name
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Catherine marry?
When did she emigrate?
Do you know if she had brothers or sisters?
have you looked at any of their records to see if they have a clue as to the maiden name?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Catherine marry?
When did she emigrate?
Do you know if she had brothers or sisters?
have you looked at any of their records to see if they have a clue as to the maiden name?

Done some searching, and from an online tree in FS  (submitted January 2017) she appears to have married in Mullingar Westmeath in June 1822 to Thomas Duffy
These are the possible children
Patrick duffy born 6/8/ 1832 married Mary Fitzpatrick in Milltown Westmeath in 1852 died in Mass 1880
Maria M Duffy later Galvin
Bridget Duffy married Daniel McPhee and later Winchester
Julia Duffy  1839  -1879 later Bowie married in Mass

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Now looking in Westmeath

In 1796 list of flax growers in Co Westmeath there is a
Matthias Byrne from Portloman. This is an unusual spelling for Ireland, actually Matthew is not all that common even with the usual (Eng) spelling. It is a continental spelling and also a saint's spelling. 

In Griffiths Valuation in the period 1848-1864 there are two Matthew Byrnes  - one at Glascarn  Townland Mullingar and the other at Piercefield T/L Portnashangan

Just pondering if the surname could be
Crowther
Growther
Grothers
Grothier
Cruthers

I will do some more searching tomorrow.

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, she married Thomas Duffy in June of 1822. She had four children: Bridget, Maria, Julia and Patrick. I haven’t been able to determine when she emigrated, or if she came with her husband, or as a widow. (the family tree that you found might be mine. :))
I think you might be on to something with Matthias Byrne from Portloman. I just found a 1786 church marriage record in Mullingar parish for “Mathew Burn and Bridget Galagher”.  I wonder if someone in Gloucester could have misinterpreted what they were told.
I am looking through birth records now and have found four children of the Burn/Galagher marriage. None of them named Catherine, but the births are fairly widely spaced so there could be some missing.
Regards
Auntie

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, she married Thomas Duffy in June of 1822. She had four children: Bridget, Maria, Julia and Patrick. I haven’t been able to determine when she emigrated, or if she came with her husband, or as a widow. (the family tree that you found might be mine. :))
I think you might be on to something with Matthias Byrne from Portloman. I just found a 1786 church marriage record in Mullingar parish for “Mathew Burn and Bridget Galagher”.  I wonder if someone in Gloucester could have misinterpreted what they were told.
I am looking through birth records now and have found four children of the Burn/Galagher marriage. None of them named Catherine, but the births are fairly widely spaced so there could be some missing.
Regards
Auntie

Great.  I am wondering if there might be earlier children of Thomas and Bridget.  Patrick seems to have been born around 1832.  I found some other pre 1832 children Alice 5/8/1826 and Martha 16/3/1829 and a John born around 1826. ETA not saying that these are their children but there is a 10 year gap between marriage and Patrick's birth-date. 

I will keep looking. 

PS Quite usual for people writing down records to misinterpret what they have heard.  An Irish accent heard by an official with say German speaking parents may hear some thing completely different from an official with Irish forebears.