Author Topic: Martha Jane Clark(e), born Hounslow or Richmond, 1827  (Read 1573 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Jane Clark(e), born Hounslow or Richmond, 1827
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 January 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
When did she marry  :-\

March 20, 1854 (in Cape Town). "MARRIAGES In St.George's Cathedral in this City by the Rev R.A. Currey MA, Curate, ... By the Rev Geo. Meyler Squibb BA, Curate, March 20: Mr. James BASHFORTH to Miss Martha CLARKE." (The link to that transcript appears to be temporarily out of action - it's a rootsweb one.)

Re searching - yes, maybe.  :-\

I'll have to have another go on the weekend, I'm tired and I need to leave it for the moment. I'll let you know where I get to. Thanks again!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Rootsweb have I believe got security problems at the moment  ::)  (Not a site I ever use  :) )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 January 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've managed to build up quite a family behind Maria Clark now and probably going to stop there for now. Quite a sad story because by the 1861 Census, Maria and Abraham are staying with her parents and Thomas is in Brentford Workhouse. I haven't as yet spotted the 1871 records, but in 1881 Maria is a widow in the workhouse.

I managed to track Thomas' family back to Iver in Bucks., although his baptism date (1799) is slightly earlier than his age stated elsewhere. Everything else matches though so I'm pretty sure it's him.

I thought that I had their marriage in Twickenham in Nov 1823, but that Maria is Wiltshire and I was just starting to follow that up when I realised that you'd posted the 1861 record with the Stranges.

Thomas has three brothers, of whom one stayed in Iver and one moves to West Drayton (wives and families). His parents are Abraham and Ellizabeth.

So perhaps Martha leaves ASAP to escape poverty? She gets married in Cape Town aged 27, so I assume only meets James Bashforth there, although he would have been over in Woolwich doing his military training at the same time Martha is living in Hounslow.

Anyway - that's enough for now. Thanks again for your help, Rosie - I've made a lot of progress with the Bashforths now.  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
So perhaps Martha leaves ASAP to escape poverty? She gets married in Cape Town aged 27, so I assume only meets James Bashforth there, although he would have been over in Woolwich doing his military training at the same time Martha is living in Hounslow.

There are also barracks in the Hounslow / Isleworth area
RG10 / 1313 f20 p30
Maria Clark widow age 66
Charles 37 occ labourer
Richard Strange brother 50 occ Briclayer
all born Isleworth
Possible deaths of Thomas
CLARK, THOMAS       age 61 
1862  March Quarter in BRENTFORD  Volume 03A  Page 28   

CLARK, THOMAS       age 63     
1864  Sept Quarter in BRENTFORD  Volume 03A  Page 50
I think that the Thomas Clark / Maria Wiltshire marriage you found is correct  :)

Her 'parents' marriage  :-\
Thomas Strange
Lucy Wiltshire
18 Jan 1819 - Isleworth

Maria's baptism  :-\   
Maria Wiltshire
8 Oct 1801 at St Leonard, Heston
Parents James Wiltshire & Lucy
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I forgot to post those deaths for Thomas, which I also found - but thanks!

That other info is all pertinent and useful, so thanks once again. A Strange marriage, ha ha.

I looked up his military unit info (which is Royal Artillery 7th Battalion, 3rd Company - I also posted under the military section of the forum, in case of further info, but not much so far) and Wikipedia told me that they were based at Woolwich. But I'll come back to this and check it out tomorrow or when I next have time. Interesting to know about the barracks in Hounslow. (I've been up in Scotland (metaphorically) for the past couple of hours, after getting sidetracked on another branch!)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 January 18 05:55 GMT (UK) »
I've now re-arranged the relationships to make Thomas Strange 2nd husband of Lucy, and father of Richard, so it all pretty much fits now. I can't find a first marriage for Lucy and James, or any likely record of their births, so I'll have to leave them at that for now.

Everything I've found on the subject of the Royal Artillery and Hounslow suggests that the former were based at Woolwich at that time, but I don't think there's going to be any way of establishing whether Martha Clark met James Bashforth before she went to the Cape. I'll just make a note of the possibility. I don't know how likely it is that a poor and single young woman would have migrated in those years (c.1850), but perhaps they were recruiting migrants?

Anyway, that will have to do for now - thanks again, Rosie.  :)