Author Topic: John Winstanley - Watchmaker  (Read 4788 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Winstanley - Watchmaker
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 January 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 January 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi garstonite,

Would Margaret give Liverpool as pob though if she was born Prescot?
The one I quote in 1861 has a father Thomas, watchmaker, born St Helens.

It would be good if Kiwi2011 could give us the marriage details - address and witnesses. It might help.
I am still not sure if Margaret was living in Eaton Place when she married or that is just the entry from Gores directory.
Hopefully she will be back soon.

Heywood

St Helens came under Prescot at that time - so I have to think that is the right Thomas / Margaret...hopefully Stephen Nulty might read this thread - he is very clued up  about Prescot and Watchmakers  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Here is the info off the MC:

Richard Hughes, 21, bachelor, joiner. Residence: 19 Mullburry street(maybe)? Margaret Winstanley, 19, Spinster. Residence: 8 Guilford(maybe)? St. Groom father: John Hughes, Joiner. Brides fthr: James Winstanley, Watchmaker. Witness: Edward McGuffie & Sophie Hughes.

Here is the Horology link for Thomas from the museum:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/collections/horology/results.aspx?

&name=thomas+winstanley&startyear=1840&endyear=1880&town=liverpool&trade=watchmaker&page=0

Will try to post the wedding cert.

Hi Kiwi
The Thomas Winstanley in this search is my ggg grandfather, I have copies of the marriage certs for  his children apart from Margaret.  If I had seen the certificate with her father as James or John I probably discarded it and I do not recognise Margaret's address, (the family seems to have moved around a lot).  However I did notice the name of one of the witnesses it's looks similar to the name of a lodger at Amelia Griffin nee Winstanley's home in the 1871 Census, his name was Edward McGuckin according to the census.  By 1871 Amelia was the head of the family and they lived in Brunel Street.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 March 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
On checking the marriage certs I have noticed that Amelia and Margaret's brother Thomas manages to sign his name so that it looks like James on a couple of the certificates so maybe whoever wrote  out the certificate managed to do that as well. 
Also I think  Edward McGuckin/Guffin? was a witness a couple of other Winstanley marriages including the Second marriage of Amelia.  I can photograph Edward's signature on the certificates and try and post it so you can see if it seems similar to the one on Margaret's. 

On the subject of the addresses: none the siblings marriage certs, have the same home address and they do not match with any of the addresses on Baptism, Census or death certs that I have.  Hope this is of interest

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 March 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
PS I can't see the marriage cert on the other post

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiwi2011

Based on the information you gave from Margaret's death certificate in a previous post I have done some further research and I'm pretty sure that Margaret is the daughter of Thomas Winstanley, watchmaker born in St Helen's and Margaret Sturdy of Liverpool and my gg grandmother's sister.
Also this is the family in the Horology report you attached.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773471.0

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 March 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Purlekat,

I'm not able to attach the excerpt of the marriage cert here, showing the witness' signature. So will do so separately with a similar subject name.
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline nibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Someone had a family of winstanley watch and clock makers in whitford street and pen y ball street holywell Flintshire look in the search bar

Wendy
hughes mills redfern thomas price peirce Evans /luke flintshire and turner rochdale turner/miller salt lake city Utah and miller wintersberg germany/stott rochdale /healey rochdale /dyson flint

Offline BBJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 February 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
The John Winstanley who was the son of Thomas Winstanley and Margaret Sturdy is my great-great-grandfather.
He died in 1876, aged only 30 and had been divorced from Kate Feenan earlier that year. They had one daughter, Annie (my great-granny).
On Annie's wedding to John McPoland in 1893 (in Laurencetown, County Down) John is described as being a "sea captain" although I have long suspected that this might have been a post mortem promotion as he is described as a "sea steward" in the 1871 census.   
Connolly, McQuade, Tierney, Magennis, McPoland, Boyle, Neeson, McErlain, Collins, Molloy, Byrne, Winstanley, Feenan, Sturdy, Gallagher, Ruane, McAndrew, Durkan, McNulty, Groarke