Author Topic: John Gordon 1791 - 1837 Newtownards  (Read 2156 times)

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gordon 1791 - 1837 Newtownards
« on: Friday 05 January 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd Great Grandfather, John Gordon, lived in Newtownards. His wife was Sarah (possibly Moore) 1787 - 1837. John was a tailor in Newtownards and was buried at Molvilla cemetery, Newtownards.
I cannot find a birth for John Gordon and I have no marriage information.
If anyone can assist me to trace more information on John Gordon and/or his wife Sarah and their ancestors I would be most appreciative. 

Gordon Reynolds January 2018

The Family:
JOHN1 GORDON was born on 14 Nov 1791 (from Family Bible of Arthur Gordon), Ireland. He died on 25 Sep 1837 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. He married Sarah Unknown about 1812. She was born on 23 Sep 1787. She died on 22 Apr 1847 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland.
John Gordon and Sarah Unknown had the following children:

i.
JAMES 2GORDON was born on 14 Feb 1813 (from Family Bible of Arthur Gordon) in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. He died on 05 May 1891 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland (Age: 78). He married Elizabeth Stratton, daughter of Andrew Stratton and Agnes Unknown, on 22 Jan 1840 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. She was born in 1818 in Newtownards, Co Down Ireland. She died on 30 Aug 1894 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland (Age: 76). James Gordon was a tailor and lived at Regent Street, Newtownards

ii.
WILLIAM GORDON was born on 21 Feb 1815 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. He died about Feb 1891 in Preston, Lancashire, England. He married Margaret Crain, daughter of Unknown Crane, on 10 Dec 1837 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She was born about 1817 in Ireland. She died about Feb 1890 in Preston, Lancashire, England.

iii.
JOHN GORDON was born on 11 Apr 1817  (from Family Bible of Arthur Gordon) in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. He died on 11 Mar 1870.

iv.
ARTHUR GORDON was born on 20 Jul 1819 in Down, Ireland. He died on 27 Jul 1872 in Great Richmond Street, Liverpool. He married Mary Lunt, daughter of Joseph Lunt and Mary Unknown, on 25 Dec 1849 in St. Nicholas Church, Liverpool. She was born on 07 May 1828 in Dublin, Ireland. She died on 28 May 1904 in 21 Belmont Drive, Newsham Park, Liverpool.

Notes for Mary Lunt:
Household Record  1881 British Census     ~~~~~~~~ Household:     Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Mary GORDON   Head   W   Female   49   Ireland   Annuitant Joseph GORDON   Son   U   Male   21   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Wine & Spirit Dealer William GORDON   Son   U   Male   20   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Pawn Broker James GORDON   Son   U   Male   18   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Auctioneers Apprentice Edith GORDON   Daur      Female   13   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Scholar Anne HESKETH   Servt   U   Female   19   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Genl Servt Domestic Ernest WALKER   Visitor      Male   14   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Pawn Brokers Apprentice     ~~~~~~~~ Source Information: Dwelling   Scrabo House Newsham Park Census Place West Derby, Lancashire, England Family History Library Film   1341889 Public Records Office Reference   RG11 Piece / Folio   3714 / 70 Page Number   30     ~~~~~~~~

v.
ELIZABETH GORDON was born on 03 Feb 1822 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland.

vi.
RUTH GORDON was born on 11 Apr 1824 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. She died on 05 Sep 1888 in Co Down, Ireland. She married Thomas Patterson, son of John Patterson, on 10 Dec 1848 in 1st Presbyterian Church of Newtownards. He was born in 1830 in Newtownards, Co Down Ireland. He died on 03 Aug 1872 in Newtownards, Ireland.

vii.
HUGH MOORE GORDON was born on 25 May 1827 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. He died on 20 Apr 1911 in DeGrasse, St Lawrence, New York. He married Caroline Bevan, daughter of William Bevan, on 23 Dec 1850 in Liverpool St Nicholas, Lancashire. She was born in Jul 1829 in Wales.

viii.
EMILY GORDON was born on 10 Jul 1831 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland. She died in 1864 in Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gordon 1791 - 1837 Newtownards
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »

Genealogical notes etc. re the Gordon family of Co. Monaghan and Co. Down and Edinburgh, the Noble family of Co. Monaghan and Co. Fermanagh, the McMahon family of Dunnanally, Co. Down, and of Co. Monaghan, 1620-c..1900.

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, T. 2506

??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Hallmark, I am not sure how to take suggestion further.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Gordon Reynolds, your reply sounds as if you live outside Ireland. if you can afford a researcher their are many. I can suggest a few if wanted. if you cant I already think its going to be a difficult brick wall for anyone
The bible Arthur Gordon ‘s bible presumably belonged to johns 4th child Arthur who lived in liverpool
PRONI Belfast has church records https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf  None of the Presbyterian churchs have surviving records before 1827
As does the church records confirm in Ros Davies Co Down website frozen since Mar 2017, but that is available https://web.archive.org/web/20170312145901/http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies this site has a two part subdatasets listing Gordons. Her church records usually include familysearch.org microfilms etc
Sadly the enterprising meticulous Robert Beattie’s website on newtownards hasn’t been saved after his tragic death in 2016, however try Newtownards Family History Group see https://www.facebook.com/Newtownardsfamilyhistorygroup/?hc_ref=ARTZeePxLGQhxo_-RHoyB-yQT6sUrNIV12jbKe5ZzWQgVHECqTcqERogZ6c9KoeG5Kg which he founded
A namesake in Ros Davies Arthur   GORDON   .   Killyleagh   of Back St, Killyleagh; a tailor in 1846   POD could be a grandson of john Gordon unknown father

another solution might be examing Gordon and Moore family trees, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  I lookedI and don’t think the places include  Newtownards or its townlands.   Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
GORDON   5p97 Highlands, 10p49 Saintfield, 16p96 Glasgar, 27T Saintfield, 33 Drumaness, 35T Highlands, 42 Campbell, 43 Centrefold, 60 by P Crossle, 87 County Down by P Crossle.  Gordon (an unnumbered?) MS in book section.

MOORE   2p88 Tullymanous, 2p134 Rowallan, 9p63 Ballydonety, 11p15N Grangebawn, 20 two items, 21T Ballydonety, 23 Noothalodge, 26p6?? Rowallan, 30, 31, 91

the linenhall has books, but often consultation only
Author   Martin, Larry Mondell, 1961-
Title   Gordon.
Imprint   North Carolina : the author, 1996.
Location   Shelfmark   Loan Type   Status
 Genealogy    929.2/GORD      Consultation Only    Check Shelf
Description   14,2p. : ill., coat of arms (col.) ; 29 cm.
Note   Donated to Linen Hall Library, no title page (unpublished?).
In memory of Eugene McSorley (00842109)
Subject   Gordon family.
Added Title   The Gordon Family History.

Genes Reunited has items that require examination you would need to join
John   Gordon   1795   Newtownards County D...   No   Jane   Find out more
John   Gordon   1795   County Down, Ireland...   No   Steven   Find out more
John   Gordon   1791   Newtownards, Down, ,...   No   Rex   Find out more
John   Gordon   1791   Newtownards, County ...   No   Louise   Find out more
John   Gordon   1791   Newtownards County D...   No   Diane
others marked ireland
John   Gordon   1750   County, Down, , Irel...   No   Rex

that brings me back to PRONI,  it has online databases to demonstrate
Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
PRONI Reference :   D576/16
Title :   John Gordon Newtownards Co. Down. Will.
Dates :   27 November 1865
Description :   John Gordon Newtownards Co. Down. Will. Mentions sons: Wm. Gordon of Waterside Ayrshire Alexander Gordon of 19th Hussars, James Gordon of Dalry Ayrshire.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline GWR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello  BallyaltikilliganG     Thanks very much indeed for your extensive analysis of my Family History dilemma. All the evidence that I have for John Gordon 1791 - 1835 comes from the headstone inscription at Molvilla cemetery in Newtownards, Co Down and the Family Bible belonging to his son Arthur Gordon 1819 -1872. (see pic below) This information has been shared with other family members and hence all the references that you eluded to for John Gordon on Genes Reunited are  essentially the fruits of my own research! I have been in contact with all those that you listed.
I shall follow up your suggestions regarding the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection though not living locally ( I am in Somerset) this may not be so straight forward.
I appreciate your thoughts on this matter and I do hope something will come to light. I have attached the page from the Family Bible showing my "evidence" of the birth dates. This has been a long search and I have been exploring these Gordon's for more than 20 years. I do hope someone can give me a pointer on how to move on. Thank you.