Author Topic: Finding Emily's Story  (Read 5623 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Emily's Story
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There are a  number of public trees with photos of Emily WRIGHT 1868-1960 and her father John 'Jack' WRIGHT.  The trees shows that John "Jack"WRIGHT's mother was an Aborigine and the people in the photos indicate that this could be the case.  One of your previous threads mentioned that Emily may have been of Maori descent.

Are any of the trees yours? 

There are a number of public trees for John "Jack" WRIGHTand his wife Mary Ann POTTER.

These are claimed to be their children  -  Mary 1861–1904, Louisa 1863-1899, Emily 1868-1960, Mary A 1869-1904, Henrietta "Ettie" 1874-, Walter 1878-1918, Louisa 1880–1938, Janet 1884-1947,

According to the trees John died 27 Feb 1936 at Trangie.

Australian Electoral Roll
WRIGHT John  Four Mile Road, Trangie  Labourer.

Death
2688/1936
WRIGHT John   105 years Trangie
District Narromine

I found these obituaries and and they show conflicting info.  Probably a bit local folk lore as well. The local registrar has his age as 105 which may have been taken from John/Jack's pension record.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article99601632
Trangie News and Narromine Advocate  28 Feb 1936.
118 Years Old.
TRANGIE RESIDENT DIES.
Daughter Aged 94.
Claimed to be 118 years of age, an old-age pensioner, named Jack Wright, passed away yesterday morning at Trangie.
There is no authentic record of this remarkable old age, but it has been established that a daughter aged 94 is living at Newcastle.
Jack Wright, who has been drawing the pension ever since it was made available 26 years ago he was one of the first to be enrolled retained remarkable use of his faculties.
Until a year ago he was active and was a familiar sight in Trangie. It is only comparatively recently that his sight and hearing were almost perfect. Only five years ago he was
more active than many men but half his age.
His father lived at Orange where he was married twice, rearing a family by each wife.
Jack Wright was his first son by his first wife, who was an aboriginal, and was born at
Windsor.
He came to Trangie and was remembered by the fathers of present residents as an old man. In those days he was a hard worker and a hard drinker, too. In this connection he often told the story of how a bush publican could not cash one of his cheques, claiming that he had insuffcient change. Jack set about reducing the amount by buying drinks. Each time be did so he asked if the publican had enough and was told that he had better 'shout' again.
He did so until at last, becoming disgusted, he took the cheque and chewed it up. After that he never drank again.
Tobacco, often cited as one of the curses of civilisation, was his chief consolation, and he used it for smoking and chewing.
During his lifetime he saw many different things come to pass and many were the tales be used to tell.
An effort is being made to secure these for publication.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162514133
Mudgee Guardian and North Western Representative  2 Mar1936
DIED AT 118
Hardy Old-timer
BELIEVED to have been 118 years of age, Jack Wright a Trangie pensioner, and a veteran of the old school, has died.
Born in Windsor, he was the father of 11 children, most of whom predeceased him, but also died of old age.
He was partial to smoking and chewing tobacco, and gave up drinking only because a bush publican would not cash his cheque until he had spent most of it.
He is survived by a daughter, aged 94, who lives at Newcastle

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article131590083
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate  1936
Mr. Jack Wright died at Trangie on Thursday. His estimated age is be tween 112 and 118 years. About four years ago, it is said that he received a certificate giving his age at 114, but
this has not been found. He has been drawing the pension ever since it started, about 26 years ago. He had a family of eleven, but has outlived most of them. One of the surviving daughters, who is living at Newcastle, is 92 years of age. Deceased has been living in Trangie as long as anyone can remember.
Up till a couple of years ago, when his sight became impaired,he was very active, and until five years ago could step dance. About 40 years ago he was a heavy drinker, and right up to his death he was very fond of tobacco. His mother was a full blooded aborigine and his father a white man.
Recently lie had been under treatment at the hands of Dr. Maclean for heart trouble, and this was the cause of his death. After eating a good meal, he went to bed in the best of spirits and passed away in his sleep.
The funeral took place yesterday morning, the police being in charge.

There are similar reports in various NSW newspapers.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I confirm that as per the 1870    NSW Electoral Roll for THE BOGAN, that Duck Creek was located within the NSW Police District of Canonbar.  For example:

NSW ER  1870 THE BOGAN
Canonbar Police District and with mention of DUCK CREEK:
AIRY, Henry, of Colane, residence, Duck Creek
WEELER, Charles, Murrawanable, residence, Duck Creek
WETHERLY, Thomas, Colane, residence, Duck Creek

And from Greville’s 1875 PO Directory:
CANNONBAR (in Dubbo Police District)
George DAVIS, cook, Eenaweena
Mick DAVIS, stockman
NONE with surname HAWKES or variations. 
John MORGAN, storekeeper, Murrawombie (I suggest this is same location as Murrawanable on the 1870 ER)
W. WRIGHT, overseer, No. 17 West Bogan
John WRIGHT, labourer, Eenaweena.

So that places a chap named John WRIGHT, and a chap named George DAVIS, both at Eenaweena in at least the mid 1870s.  Now to find who else was on the pastoral station ‘Eenaweena’ to then consider where that station’s paper records may be held IF EXTANT…. 

Fingers crossed  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Sands 1905 Pastoral Directory
CANONBAR
Henry CAMPBELL, Enaweena, Warren
15 horses
25 cattle
5901 sheep

NSW Electoral Roll 1902 THE DARLING,

polling at Ennaweena, 68 persons enrolled. 
Henry CAMPBELL as a grazier.
NONE with surname WRIGHT.

Polling at Nyngan  (JM notes that the polling place of Nyngan and the NSW BDM district of Nyngan should not be considered to be exacting same geographical territory as each other … BDM was part of the Registrar Generals Office – ie part of the Land Titles Office, and the Reg Gens and were all very active at closely protecting their own administrative areas of responsibility …. VERY !!!.)

Alfred DAVIS, Nyngan, jockey
George Thomas DAVIS, Block 387, labourer
Mary Ann DAVIS, Block 387, domestic duties
William Walter DAVIS, Jeffrey’s selection, labourer
William Watts DAVIS, Miandetta, labourer
NONE with surname HAWKES or variations
Harry POTTER, butcher, Nyngan
Francis Walter WRIGHT, Mudal, station hand
Walter WRIGHT, Nyngan, labourer

Noting Emily’s children’s births
1902 Thomas, registered Nyngan district
1904 Emily registered Cobar district
1907 James registered Cobar district

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Question, if I may ....

From the NSW Birth certs for Thomas, Emily and James .... the exact wording for the informant's address, and also the exact wording for the places of birth for these three children... 

Although I do think seeking baptismal records may give up first hand info rather than 'officialdom' info...  :D

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 January 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Just mentioning that perhaps IF there maybe a possible connection between the 1913 marriage witness F Campbell and the CAMPBELL family back at Enawenna ?

I have dug out my box of "strangers" papers for Western Land Div. And will go through it over this evening .... fingers crossed.

JM

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 January 18 04:38 GMT (UK) »
majm
As to your question if you may, yes and as follows

NSW Birth certificate: this was extracted 29th July 1997 by me
and exact details as follows:

Thomas Wright/Hawkes
No. 24762
Date & Place of Birth of Child: 25th June 1902, Nyngan
Name and whether present or not: Thomas, Not present
Sex: Male
Fathers Name, Occupation, age and birthplace: Thomas Hawke, Labourer,40 years, Sydney, New South Wales
Date and Place of Marriage, previous Issue: 26th April 1901, Cobar, New South Wales, Nil
Mothers Name and Maiden Name, age, and birthplace: Emily Wright, 33 years. dzuck Creek,near Nyngan, NSW.
Informant: Emily Hawke, Mother, Duck Creek
Witness:Lewis Hickey(reg) and Mrs.Lawler
Particulars of Registration: Wm L Reed, 14th July 1902, Nyngan

NSW Birth Certificate: This was extracted 17 September 1997 by Me

Emily Wright/Hawkes
No.21287/1904

1. Child:
Family Name: Wright
Christian or Given Name(s): Emily
Sex: Female
Date of Birth: 26 August 1904
Place of Birth: Cobar,NSW
2. Mother:
Maiden Family Name: Wright
Christian or Given Name(s):Emily
Place of Birth: Duck Creek, Cannonbar,NSW
3.Father: Completely left blank
Family Name:
Christian or given name(s):
4. Marriage of Parents:Completely  left blank
Date of Marriage:
Place of Marriage:
5. Previous Children of Relationship: Completely Blank
6. Informant(s)
Name: E Wright
Address:Cobar
Mother
7. Registering Authority:
Name: Donald McLeod Graham, District Registrar
Address:8th September 1904
8. Endorsement(s): Not any
As a side note to this birth certificate is the following: This birth record has been superseeded by a later record. This certificate is issued at the request of Jillann Kerr. dated 17th September 1997.
I also requested a birth transcript from NSW-Joy Murrin Services and the only extra information that was revealed was The Nurse and Or Witness was a Mrs. Williams. With comments: TO THE SIDE " The Within named Emily Wright was registered as the lawful issue of Thomas Hawkes And Emily formerly Wright, 17 September 1913"-Registrar Generals Office , Brisbane, Qld, 24 September 1913.

NSW Birth certificate: this was extracted 25th September 1997 by me
and exact details as follows:

James Wright/Hawkes
No. 12471/1907

1. Child
Christian or given name(s): James
Sex: Male
Date of Birth: 11 April 1907
Place of Birth: Cobar
2. Mother
Maiden Family Name: Wright
Christian or Given name(s): Emily
Occupation- Left Blank
Place of Birth: Duck Creek,near Cannonbar, NSW
3. Father: Completely Blank
Family Name:
Christian or Given Name(s)
4.Marriage of Parents: Completely Blank
Date of Marriage:
Place of Marriage:
5.Previous Children of Relationship: Completely blank
6.Informant(s):
Name: Emily Wright, mother
Meryula near Cobar
7. Registering authority:
Name:Henry Thomas Adams,District Registrar
Date: 14 May 1907

As a side note, the re registered Qld birth for James reveals that the Witness for this birth was also Mrs.Williams. The informant on this certificate is Thomas HAwkes, Father himself.
Date:

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 January 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I notice on the NSW registration for James that Thomas was the informant.  Does it actually state the relationship for Thomas to James?   

I did not find ANY strays that could help advance your quest in my ‘strangers’ box.  Very sorry

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 January 18 04:49 GMT (UK) »
The children may have been baptised shortly after birth.  It can be significant to remember that Clergy were not/are not discriminatory re the marital status of the parents, the ceremony is not about the parents.   :)

JM

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 January 18 05:04 GMT (UK) »
cando
I am assuming the trees are at ancestry?
And Yes The Emily in these trees is My Emily Wright....but is she part of this family?? The million dollar question, how do I prove this?? There is NO Connection to date other than jumping leads. I have the death certificate of John Wright died Trangie 1936 and do believe strongly to be  be Emily's Father, but again how do I prove this?? The cert has no issue naming any children, no wife, no family. Lots of reports and articles in papers and oral stories but worth do they really hold?
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick