Author Topic: On line genealogy courses  (Read 1885 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On line genealogy courses
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
There is the free FutureLearn one which quite a few of us did a couple of years ago. Some found it too basic bit I believe they have improved it after feedback.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy

As groom says, this is the free course run by Strathclyde University. The next edition of the course begins on Monday 29 January 2018. As it's so soon it may be worth doing while you try to find other courses.

Hi - I did the Futurelearn course hosted by Strathclyde a couple of years ago. It was free unless you wanted certification which you had to pay for. However all FutureLearn courses - as I understand it - are now pay up-front for certification only - no free courses. They still represent good value but are no longer free.
David

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
David ... just completed the Behind the Scenes at a Museum course and have two more booked. Regarding payment: They are free courses, you don't have to purchase a cert, but unlike in the past your access to the course material expires two weeks after the end of the course. Upgrading, by payment of a fee, gives you continued access to the course material ... not needed to do that yet as the courses are usually repeated so further access can be gained that way  ;)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
However all FutureLearn courses - as I understand it - are now pay up-front for certification only - no free courses. They still represent good value but are no longer free.

That's not true, David. They are still free as sugarbakers said, unless you want a certificate and continued access. I've done several courses in the last few months, all free. They do keep sending emails asking if you want to upgrade, but I just ignore them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Strathclyde University, E423: Family History Research: Beyond the Basics (Online)  - is NOT FREE.
It costs £167.00.  It is an 8 week course, and I expect to spend a day a week on it.
 I think free courses are admirable, and recommended for people who are getting started.  I did the Futurelearn Genealogy one a couple of years ago. It was basic, but useful in consolidating what I knew.  There were a lot of technical issues with the live videocasts. Hopefully, that is fixed now.
 The drop-out rate on free courses must be very high (I met the instructor at WDYTYA,  and she said they had 24,000 enrolled, but only 2000 "attended" the last session).
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 January 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
The drop-out rate on free courses must be very high (I met the instructor at WDYTYA,  and she said they had 24,000 enrolled, but only 2000 "attended" the last session).

That's because it was not very good.  ;) :)

The one I did was fairly dismal, though I did hear that they subsequently made improvements.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Strathclyde University, E423: Family History Research: Beyond the Basics (Online)  - is NOT FREE.
It costs £167.00.  It is an 8 week course, and I expect to spend a day a week on it.

Just be aware that the shorter Strathclyde courses focus quite heavily on Scottish Records (as the course description says) although the research principles being taught can be transferred to using to any records.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I started the free Futurelearn course but gave up after about three weeks. It was not that it was a beginners course (and I think I am a bit beyond that) but it was so "dumbed down" and just plain boring that it could not hold my attention. The video tutorials in particular were a very good cure for insomnia.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,