Author Topic: Bigamy?? 1910s  (Read 997 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bigamy?? 1910s
« on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
My 2nd great aunt seems to have been married to two people at the same time.

Margaret Gregg married in 1895 to Joseph Slee in Ulverston. I found them in 1901 with their children, Adam and Mary Eve. Joseph was in Swarthmoor in 1911, married for 16 years with two children, which is correct. However, I could not find his wife or children.

A census popped up for a Margaret Wilson married to John Wilson with four children. They were living in Colne, Lancashire. This bit is interesting. Their first two children are called Adam and Mary, the same as Margaret and Joseph's children. There were two more children, John and James, who I looked up on GRO and both had mmn Gregg.

However, Margaret at this point was still married to Joseph Slee as it said in his 1911 census, but somehow also married to John Wilson.

Margaret died in 1914 in Burnley under the name Margaret Slee. Maybe Margaret and John were not legally married? It might be why on Joseph's census he is still listed as married but not living with his wife.

I have no idea if this is right, but was this practice common at the time? I have read a thread here on the site and it turns out it might be.

Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamy?? 1910s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Could you please give us some census references for the Wilsons so we can see who you are looking at

ADDED if it is 1911 please post details
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Slee 1901 census - Ulpha, Cumberland District 15, page 8

Joseph Slee 1911 census - Pennington, Lancashire ED 2, page 314

Margaret Slee/Wilson 1911 census - Colne, Lancashire ED 1, page 130
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing to stop a married woman living with another man and using his surname, much like today.  She was only committing bigamy if she had married John Wilson
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vineland

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendent of Margaret Gregg and John Wilson.  The records I have seen appear to confirm that they never married, however, Margaret used the name Margaret Wilson on the birth certificates of her children by John.  Her death certificate was in the name Margaret Wilson, but corrected later to Margaret Slee.