Author Topic: MSILPerseus.98526 - Trojan?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MSILPerseus.98526 - Trojan?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I must have missed the notification emails for this thread - on top of everything else I've had this cold/flu thing that's been doing the rounds so my head is a little befuddled!

I've deleted the quarantined items and re-run the anti-virus, which was clear.  I'm dying on my feet so will will do the other stuff tomorrow.  Thank you for your help so far, and again, apologies for the tardiness in replying.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hiya!

[ Hope you feel better soon ]

I have contacted Freereg on your [ Our  :) ] behalf, explained potential problem. Let's see what they say?

There does seem to be a number of different "interface" websites for their communications.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  After almost 11 hours of well needed sleep I'm feeling a little more human today!

I'm running the Microsoft scanner now but it looks like it may take a while as I opted for the full scan rather than the quick. 

I don't think FreeReg has much in the way of technical support, but for now I won't open any of the transcription files etc.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update.... it hasn't been a good day!

The Microsoft program didn't find anything so I restarted and ran the F Secure scan as instructed.  This still found a harmful file but got stuck at 84%, and the only way to stop the scan was to re-start the laptop (the normal 'stop' button wouldn't work).

This happened a couple of times so I was advised to uninstall & reinstall F Secure, which I did - only now there's nothing harmful being flagged but it gets stuck at 99% & can still only be stopped / closed by a full re-start. Unfortunately the helpdesk is now shut so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

The file it keeps getting stuck on is C:\SWSETUP\APP\Applications\Cyberlink\Powermedi_MM.../ACBDWrapper.dll, but Cyberlink came pre-installed on the laptop and I removed it, so I'm more confused than ever!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
It just keeps getting better & better (not). 

Spent more than 2 hours talking to F Secure, who gave up & blamed Microsoft.   Microsoft said nothing to do with them but created a second profile on my laptop, copied all my files over then waved goodbye. 

The problem still isn't fixed so I still can't complete a scan, but I now have 2 profiles & no idea how to revert to just the original one. 

Looks like another marathon session on the phone tomorrow, but for now I need vodka.  Lots of it!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 January 18 08:32 GMT (UK) »

It seems that we cannot contact each other  ???

I got the response following . . . . .

Ray

=====================================
Dear
  • Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have raised the issue with our development team and will keep you appraised. We may need some more information from the person who made the original post; could you ask him to drop a quick email to info@freeukgenealogy.org.uk if you are so inclined?

Kind regardsThe Communications Team
    On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 8:39 PM,  <freereg-contacts@freereg.org.uk> wrote:
     Dear

Thank you for your correspondence at 20:37 on 2018-01-08. Please quote the following number 95373581 in any subsequent communication with us on this matter.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
    Thank you Ray

I'm on with Microsoft now to reverse whatever they did yesterday, then it's back to F Secure, then I'll contact FreeReg.

Appreciate your help.