Author Topic: Length of time from birth to registration  (Read 2826 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Length of time from birth to registration
« on: Sunday 07 January 18 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, probably a very simple question but one that I am not able to answer. How long from a birth to a registration of the birth? The reason for this question is that an Great uncle of mine Norman W H Witherington married a Lilian (or Lillian) Storey in Aylesbury in 1923. I have no certificates (BMD) as yet however have found that there are only 2 Lilian Witheringtons who have died in England between 1923 and 2005. One (the most likely) died in Sunderland in April 1991 and the information supplied stated that she was born on 15 May 1903. A Lilian Storey was born in Sunderland July-Sept 1903 so is it possible to have registration delayed by 2 months (thereabouts).
Norman Witherington was living with his family in Sunderland so this makes this Lilian Storey the most obvious one although why they were married in Aylesbury is anyones guess. I can find no Lilian Storey living in Buckinghamshire in the 1911 census. There is another Lilian Witherington who died in Norwich May 1994 who was born on 15 August 1903 but don't think that this one will be the right one.
There are a few other Lilian Storeys'  born around that time the best being one in Sheffield who was born Jan-Mar 1903 but I can also find a marriage of a Lilian Storey in Sheffield in 1930.
Norman William Henry Witherington was born 11 March 1904 and that's why I am concentrating around the 1903/4 time period and these are the only ones coming up. He died in Bucklow, Cheshire in 1971
I haven't looked at any Lilian (with a middle initial) Storey as there is no indication of middle names on marriage notifications.
Sorry to go on a bit with just a simple question!!!!! Any information is appreciated.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Length of time from birth to registration
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 07:40 GMT (UK) »
The Lilian Witherington who died in 1991 has a birth listed as 15 March 1903.   

I think she could well be the Lilian Milne (born Sunderland 1903) who married John W Witherington in Sep Qtr 1929 Sunderland.  Use her birth date to check the couple on the 1939 Register - using just her first name

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
 Although 42 days was the usual time to register a birth, under the 1874 Act you had up to three months, and a maximum of twelve months to register the birth. See Sections 2 & 5 of the Act at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1874/88/pdfs/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf There was no penalty for late registration.
After the expiration of twelve months next after the birth of any child, that birth shall not be registered except with the written authority of the Registrar General for registering the same, and except in accordance with the prescribed rules, and the fact of such authority having been given shall be entered in the register.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Although 42 days was the usual time to register a birth, under the 1874 Act you had up to three months, and a maximum of twelve months to register the birth. See Sections 2 & 5 of the Act at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1874/88/pdfs/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf There was no penalty for late registration.
After the expiration of twelve months next after the birth of any child, that birth shall not be registered except with the written authority of the Registrar General for registering the same, and except in accordance with the prescribed rules, and the fact of such authority having been given shall be entered in the register.
Stan

You may not call the doubling of the fee to register a birth late a penalty but I am sure many people would.
;)
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
You may also want to consider the possibility of alternative names. I have a woman in my tree who married and died as Lilian but was born Lilias, and another who married and died as Lily but was born Elizabeth.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
There is another Lilian Witherington who died in Norwich May 1994 who was born on 15 August 1903 but don't think that this one will be the right one.

It might be. Putting that d-o-b into the 1939 Register free search brings up
Lilian Witherington in Weston-Super-Mare M.B.
living with Julia Bailey, born 1883
(and possibly also with a closed person)
The free search is also suggesting that both ladies were married?
Could Julia Bailey be the mother of Lilian?

Marriage possibility in Sunderland, March qtr 1930
Bailey, Alexander - spouse Storey or Turnbull
Storey, Julia - spouse Bailey
Turnbull, Julia - spouse Bailey

Birth registration
Sep 1903 Sunderland 10a 767
Storey, Lilian
mother Turnbull

June qtr 1903 marriage possibility in Sunderland
Storey, Robert
Turnbull, Julia
+ 2 others

Free index to 1911, could be the family in Sunderland
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWC4-H2R

John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Julia was divorced from her first husband
Divorce Court File 3708
Appellant Julia Storey
Respondent Robert Storey
Wife's petition for divorce

at TNA

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I think that looks good John.  There is a death of an Alexander Bailey age 56 Dec Qtr 1938  Sunderland

Kay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
There was no penalty for late registration.
Stan
SECOND SCHEDULE.
Fees to Registrars and "Superintendent Registrars.

Upon the registration of a birth when the child is more than three months old, if it is 'not more than twelve months old, to superintendent registrar two shillings and sixpence, and to the registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition, or otherwise by his default) two shillings and sixpence, and if it is more than twelve months old, and is registered with the authority of the Registrar General, to superintendent registrar five shillings, and to registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition or otherwise by his default) five shillings, to be paid by the informant or declarant. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1874/88/pdfs/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk