Author Topic: Length of time from birth to registration  (Read 2841 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Length of time from birth to registration
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
If, as seems quite possible, the Lilian Storey registered Sep qtr 1903, Sunderland, is the Lilian Witherington born 15 August 1903, then of course there is no question of a late registration.

Probate for her, 19 May 1994, a will.
Lilian Witherington
of 186 Wroxham Rd Sprowston Norwich
died 1 May 1994
not exceeding £125000

John

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 January 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
There was no penalty for late registration.
Stan
SECOND SCHEDULE.
Fees to Registrars and "Superintendent Registrars.

Upon the registration of a birth when the child is more than three months old, if it is 'not more than twelve months old, to superintendent registrar two shillings and sixpence, and to the registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition, or otherwise by his default) two shillings and sixpence, and if it is more than twelve months old, and is registered with the authority of the Registrar General, to superintendent registrar five shillings, and to registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition or otherwise by his default) five shillings, to be paid by the informant or declarant. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1874/88/pdfs/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf

Stan

The normal fee to register at that time was two shillings and sixpence.

If the child was registered after 3 months the fee was doubled to two shillings and sixpence to the registrar plus two shillings and sixpence to the superintendent registrar. (i.e. the fee was doubled as a penalty, whether it is called that or not)

If the child was registered after 1 year the fee was five shillings to the registrar and five shillings to the superintendent registrar. (i.e. the fee was again doubled or quadrupled from the initial fee of 2/6 as a penalty, whether it is called that or not)

In today’s world they would likely claim the 2/6 fee was a reduced  fee for early registration ;) and the other two fees were for addition costs incurred but we all know they were in all but name, penalties!
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 January 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware there was no fee for just registering a birth. However for a certified copy of any entry given by the superintendent registrar, there was a fee of two shillings and sixpence  to be paid by the applicant to the superintendent registrar. For registering a birth when required to do so at the residence of person signing requisition, or at house where child was born  (not being a public institution), one shilling was to be paid by the informant  to registrar.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
The Lilian Witherington who died in 1991 has a birth listed as 15 March 1903.   

I think she could well be the Lilian Milne (born Sunderland 1903) who married John W Witherington in Sep Qtr 1929 Sunderland.  Use her birth date to check the couple on the 1939 Register - using just her first name

Hello Kay, Thanks for that information, you could well be right as there were cousins also living in Sunderland as well. The family originated from the Wigton/Bowness area in Cumberland
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
You may also want to consider the possibility of alternative names. I have a woman in my tree who married and died as Lilian but was born Lilias, and another who married and died as Lily but was born Elizabeth.

Hello Jebber, thanks for that information. Just to do your head in using different names, however in this case I think the good people at Rootschat may well have solved it.
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Julia was divorced from her first husband
Divorce Court File 3708
Appellant Julia Storey
Respondent Robert Storey
Wife's petition for divorce

at TNA

Thanks Jon, you could well be right with all that information. Ordering the marriage certificate will at least provide me with her fathers name and occupation.
With all the information you provided me I had to write it all down and digest it, it was starting to get a bit complicated.
Once again many thanks, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware there was no fee for just registering a birth. However for a certified copy of any entry given by the superintendent registrar, there was a fee of two shillings and sixpence  to be paid by the applicant to the superintendent registrar. For registering a birth when required to do so at the residence of person signing requisition, or at house where child was born  (not being a public institution), one shilling was to be paid by the informant  to registrar.

Stan

Stan, once again thank you for your valuable information, one more thing that I am now aware of.
Thanks, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
There was no penalty for late registration.
Stan
SECOND SCHEDULE.
Fees to Registrars and "Superintendent Registrars.

Upon the registration of a birth when the child is more than three months old, if it is 'not more than twelve months old, to superintendent registrar two shillings and sixpence, and to the registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition, or otherwise by his default) two shillings and sixpence, and if it is more than twelve months old, and is registered with the authority of the Registrar General, to superintendent registrar five shillings, and to registrar (unless the delay is occasioned by his failure to issue a requisition or otherwise by his default) five shillings, to be paid by the informant or declarant. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1874/88/pdfs/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf

Stan

The normal fee to register at that time was two shillings and sixpence.

If the child was registered after 3 months the fee was doubled to two shillings and sixpence to the registrar plus two shillings and sixpence to the superintendent registrar. (i.e. the fee was doubled as a penalty, whether it is called that or not)

If the child was registered after 1 year the fee was five shillings to the registrar and five shillings to the superintendent registrar. (i.e. the fee was again doubled or quadrupled from the initial fee of 2/6 as a penalty, whether it is called that or not)

In today’s world they would likely claim the 2/6 fee was a reduced  fee for early registration ;) and the other two fees were for addition costs incurred but we all know they were in all but name, penalties!
Cheers
Guy

Thanks Guy for your assistance and informing me. It looks as though children have always been expensive from day one!!!
Thanks, Paul

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 January 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
With all the information you provided me I had to write it all down
A bit more
School records for Lilian in Sunderland
Stansfield Street Infants School
admitted 17 Aug 1908
Lillian Storey, father Robert, 14 Westcott Terr, born 15 Aug 1903 (15.8.03)

Redby Junior School
admitted 17 June 1912
Lilian Storey, father Robert, 99 Fulwell Rd, born 15 Aug 1903

why they were married in Aylesbury is anyones guess

It appears that Norman was in the R.A.F.
Bucks Herald, 28 June 1924
A Lamp Stolen.—Norman Witherington, of Halton Camp, pleaded guilty to riding a bicycle without a light at 11.15 p.m. on Sunday, June 15th.—P.C. Bush proved the case, stating that the defendant told him his lamp had been stolen.—Defendant repeated this information to the Magistrates, saying that he left his bicycle outside a public house in Aylesbury and when he went for it he found his lamp had been taken, one of his tyres deflated and two tyre levers were missing. He repaired the tyre as best he could and cycled home without a light as his wife was ill and he did not want to cause her worry by being very late.—The Bench accepted this explanation and ordered defendant to pay 5s. 6d. costs without a conviction.

By autumn 1925 Norman was twenty one and he must surely be the Norman Witherington on the electoral register at Main Street, Weston Turville (ditto 1926).
There were only a couple of Norman Witheringtons about!
He may then be the Witherington who kept goal at football for Weston Turville in 1926? In the final of the Aylesbury and District League Junior Championship that year, the team were up against North Marston.
The Bucks Herald said that "Witherington, in Weston Turville's goal, played well"
But they still lost 4-0.

1930 electoral register has
Lilian Witherington at Sideways, High Street, Lee on Solent (in Hampshire, Gosport area)
1931 has
Norman William Henry Witherington, and Lilian Witherington, at Solenta, High Street, Lee on Solent.

Their daughter, D.....y, is mentioned in The Hampshire Telegraph, 8 August 1930. She came third in a fancy dress race at a Village Fair in Lee on Solent.

Finally
British Military Lists on National Library of Scotland
1938-1945 Air Force Lists
Witherington, N.W.H.
(Warrant Officer)