Author Topic: Record of Death of William Cassells / Castles in Lurgan Workhouse 1847  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
Record of Death of William Cassells / Castles in Lurgan Workhouse 1847
« on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone suggest where I could find this record? I think I had it at some stage but can't find it now.
Thank you

A quote from someone who passed on the information to me:

"William Cassells, Annaloist, buried 28 June 1847. William was one of almost 500 burials in Shankill COI alone, during the famine year of 1847.The total number for all the Churches must have been staggering."
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Record of Death of William Cassells / Castles in Lurgan Workhouse 1847
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Statutory death registration only started in Ireland in 1864 so you won’t get a death certificate for a death in 1847.

Lurgan Workhouse records are held in PRONI in Belfast. They are not on-line so a personal visit is required to view them. Judging by this site, the indoor records for 1847 appear to have survived.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lurgan/

If the burial was Church of Ireland then Shankill parish records might have also a burial record (though the information is usually pretty limited, e.g. to name, age and address). There’s a copy of those records in PRONI too.
Elwyn

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Statutory death registration only started in Ireland in 1864 so you won’t get a death certificate for a death in 1847.

Lurgan Workhouse records are held in PRONI in Belfast. They are not on-line so a personal visit is required to view them. Judging by this site, the indoor records for 1847 appear to have survived.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lurgan/

If the burial was Church of Ireland then Shankill parish records might have also a burial record (though the information is usually pretty limited, e.g. to name, age and address). There’s a copy of those records in PRONI too.

Thank you. Maybe the record I had was from a look up at PRONI then. 
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 18 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have checked the church record for your William and it is listed under Burials  as "June 28 1947 William Castles aged 62 Annaloist" Thankfully the curate recorded all burials to the old Shankill Cemetery whatever their faith. I know this family have a strong affiliation with this Church of Christ the Redeemer in Lurgan but often their flock was listed as "Funerals" and all others as "Burials". Also many have "workhouse" in their entry and not townland. Hope this helps, Ann.
Areas Lurgan and neighbouring townlands in the Parishes of Shankill and Seagoe, Toomebridge County Antrim, Queens County New York, Hartford Connecticut, Michigan USA. Names Doyle McElroy Pollock  Harte Neill Hall Mc Cully Wright Boyle Murray Mc Conaghy Mc Cann Brown Patterson Carson Hines Lauder Waters Watson Hendron Tweedy Warnock

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have checked the church record for your William and it is listed under Burials  as "June 28 1947 William Castles aged 62 Annaloist" Thankfully the curate recorded all burials to the old Shankill Cemetery whatever their faith. I know this family have a strong affiliation with this Church of Christ the Redeemer in Lurgan but often their flock was listed as "Funerals" and all others as "Burials". Also many have "workhouse" in their entry and not townland. Hope this helps, Ann.

Great, that's very good of you doylers94. Thanks very much!