Author Topic: King's Heath Address - who resided there prior to 1878?  (Read 763 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
King's Heath Address - who resided there prior to 1878?
« on: Sunday 07 January 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am back to a Hood Marriage of 1815 and an earlier reference in 1812 in Selby, Yorkshire, then a brick wall to prove a link backward.

----------

Because there is a possibility that the 1878 newly married couple (below) might stay with one of the families or a relative, I would like to find out who lived at the King's Heath address around 1878 and beforehand please?

From 1880 to circa 1901 the couple were on the run from the Police based at Moor Street, Birmingham and began using the surname Grove, later at the Camberwell Dairy, 291 Camberwell Road, London, hers being Anna Mary Grove. However, earlier she was A. M. Hood or A. M. Curtis in documents [born Hannah Mary Hood 1850].

Traced the Curtis to London using a Hood Will, witnessing as A. M. Curtis and address and John Conway Curtis in the Probate Calendar. Around the time of death Mr Curtis appears to have been caught out.
Camberwell Green Farm Dairy (British Library)
http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/evanion/Results.aspx?SearchType=Heading&ID=809

Thanks to Rootschatters who traced the Reward Notice and realised Grove was an alias.

The Athletic News, 30 March 1878
Long Life to Em! Married, on the 26th day of March, 1878, at the Abbey church, Selby, Mr John Conway Curtis, of Birmingham (late Leeds), to Miss Pollie Hood, of Selby. Reside at Rozell Villa, Avenue Road, King's Heath, Birmingham.

Rather hoping an 1870s Kelly's Directory might tell us who lived there beforehand? Thank you.

Mark

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: King's Heath Address - who resided there prior to 1878?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
In February 1877 Rozell Villas, Avenue Road was being advertised as available to rent, with immediate possession. If your family were there in 1878 they may well have been merely renting their home.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
In February 1877 Rozell Villas, Avenue Road was being advertised as available to rent, with immediate possession. If your family were there in 1878 they may well have been merely renting their home.

Thank you Dave for finding this.

I was rather hoping a Hood (unknown to me) might have been the owner or showing as an occupier.

I think the address can be ruled out, if being offered for rent.

We have traced all the relations appearing in various Census, but none link to a Hood, or an unknown Hood. The Hood origin (back from 1815/1812) I cannot confirm.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Found one in July 1874, so possibly the same Owner (or Agent) also has Clarence Cottage, Avenue Road, King's Heath, To Let.

KING'S HEATH.- To Let, Clarence Cottage, Avenue Road. Rent
£18.- Apply Rozell Villa, above.

Mark